Summary: We are the prize that Jesus bought through his death and resurrection.
The Messiah’s Descendants
1. A billboard posted by an atheist group in Wisconsin this season advertised, “Nobody died for your sins.”
2. Dr. George Sweeting tells of an incident in the early 1920s when Communist leader Nikolai Bukharin was sent from Moscow to Kiev to address an anti-God rally. For an hour he abused and ridiculed the Christian faith until it seemed as if the whole structure of belief was in ruins. Then questions were invited. Church leader rose and asked to speak. He turned, faced the people, and gave the Easter greeting, "He is risen!" Instantly the assembly rose to its feet and the reply came back loud and clear, "He is risen indeed!"
3. In a way, your presence and the presence of Christians in other churches is agreeing with the crowd that says, “He is risen indeed!” He died for our sins and rose.
4. Jesus died and rose for a purpose, to bring you and I to him and to the Father.
Main Idea: We are the prize that Jesus bought through his death and resurrection.
I. Good Friday: A Messiah Cut Off Without GENERATION (Descendants) (7-10a)
A. The just one silently allowed INJUSTICE prevail (7)
B. Human injustice worked divine JUSTICE (8)
One of the strangest things is how God uses bad things to accomplish good purposes in the long run. And nowhere is this more clear than in the cross.
1. Cut off is a term for being put to DEATH
Who would have thought that a miscarriage of justice would be part of God’s plan to make us right with him and give us eternal life?
2. Generation here likely means DESCENDENTS
Commenting on the Hebrew word “dor” דּוֹר
“… More frequently, of the circle of a man’s life from his conception and birth until the conception and birth of his offspring…” [Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, Harris, Archer, and Waltke, Vol. 1, p. 186]
C. Ignoble burial plans turned into an EXTRAVAGENT tomb (9)
In our culture, burial is not a big deal; many folks are cremated, and impressive funerals are usually not our concern; but in the ancient middle east, they would hire mourners and an appropriate burial was a big deal…
That’s why a public graveyard for strangers….
Rabbinic law: providing for a decent burial is part of loving ones neighbor
D. Attempts to thwart the Messiah helped him accomplish God’s PLAN (10a)
When God has determined to do something, often incorporates enemies….
Jesus chose Judas as one of the twelve…
II. Resurrection Sunday: Victory and a Wealth of DESCENDENTS (10b–12)
1. I have known some people who came from big families; one Italian man I knew was one of 28.
2. According the Guiness Book of World Records, “The greatest officially recorded number of children born to one mother is 69, to the wife of Feodor Vassilyev (b. 1707–c.1782), a peasant from Shuya, Russia. In 27 confinements she gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets.