Summary: So what? So what if Jesus is alive today? This teaching looks at John’s vision of the resurrected Jesus and how it affects us today!
THE MINISTRY OF THE RESURRECTED CHRIST
1. Illus. of Sunday School class
• Teacher asked four-year-olds, “what were the first words Jesus spoke after resurrection?”
• One little girl raised hand and said, “tah-dah!”
• In my private thoughts, I often think of the resurrection as the “Grand tah-dah!”
2. Our world is filled with hurting, desperate people. You may be one of them. You try to put on a façade and smile in all the appropriate places, but inside something is broken. The symptoms may vary from person to person: greed, anger, rebellion, booze, drugs, promiscuity, materialism, lying, bitterness. The bottom line is the same: there is something broken inside you that you cannot fix. Would you listen carefully? The answer you are looking for may be found in the Grand Tah-dah!
3. In our text, John is worshipping on the Lord’s day (Sunday). He hears a voice, and when he turns he sees a vision of the glorified and resurrected Jesus.
• Not the Jesus of the manger, a tiny helpless infant.
• Not the Jesus of the cross, the gentle Lamb dying for the sins of the world.
• Jesus as He is today, in all of His power and authority!
4. Text: In this vision, Jesus revealed to John the offices that He occupies as the resurrected Lord.
5. Today: By understanding the offices that the resurrected Christ occupies, we can understand the ministries He has in the world today.
6. What are the ministries of the resurrected Christ?
I. AS HIGH PRIEST, JESUS HAS A MINISTRY OF FORGIVENESS
1. See vss 12-13. Jesus is wearing the garment that the High Priest was to wear!
2. What was the ministry of the High Priest? Hebrews 9:2-3, 6-7. On Yom Kippur he was to offer the blood sacrifice that purchased forgiveness for the people. Why is Jesus dressed like a High Priest? Because on the cross He offered the blood sacrifice that purchased forgiveness for the people!
3. The resurrected Jesus offers you forgiveness today based on His death on the cross!
4. Illus. of woman at my first church
• Old man and wife, married daughter visiting with them. Told them old story of Jesus love and forgiveness.
• Old man and woman seriously considered the claims of Christ. When I turned to daughter, she burst out in tears. “God doesn’t love me, and God can’t forgive me.”
• Began to tell heart-wrenching story of her life, cataloging list of foul and degrading sins, sins that had eventually led to tragic death of her 9-year-old son. “Jesus cannot forgive this!”
• I swallowed hard and told her, “Jesus can forgive even this!”
5. Did you notice the articles of clothing that are missing from Jesus high priestly outfit?
No inner linen robe- (God’s righteousness) Jesus perfectly righteous.
No belt around midsection- (used to get ready for fast movement or hard work). No work left to do. Resurrected Jesus already done everything that needs to be done.
No ephod (an outer “apron” necessary for making sacrifice) No sacrifice left to make. The death and resurrection of Jesus full and complete sacrifice for all our sins.