Summary: Ordination Sermon: This world is not in need of more politicians, philanthropists, or professors. We are in need of real Preachers who become real Pastors who really care about, help, and direct their people for the honor and glory of God.
From The Desk Of Pastor Toby Powers
Truth Baptist Church
Bremen, GA 30110
The Ministry & The Minister
Intro: This world is not in need of more politicians, philanthropists, or professors. We are in need of real Preachers who become real Pastors who really care about, help, and direct their people for the honor and glory of God. This world needs a man of God, and this church like every other church needs a man of God.
I. The Man: Some things should be true about every preacher.
A. His Character should be Impeccable:
1. Man of Salvation: II Timothy 1:9 “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace”
2. Man of Separation: Isaiah 52:11 “Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the Lord.” I Timothy 3:1-7 teaches us the need of this man’s character to be blameless and above reproach.
3. Man of Supplication: Ephesians 6:18 “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.”
4. Man of the Scriptures: II Timothy 2:15, 3:16-17
B. His Calling should be Undeniable: I Timothy 1:11-12, “According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry.” The ministry was put in his trust and God accounted him faithful to put him into the ministry.
1. God Entrusts a man to preach- It is God’s Gospel, and he entrusts his preachers.
2. God Enables a man to preach- It is God’s Unction, and he enables his preachers.
3. God Employs a man to preach- It is God’s ministry, and he employs his preachers.
II. The Message: Some things should be true of every pastor’s message:
A. Preach the Gospel: Mark 16:15, This is to evangelize the sinners
1. The Gospel’s Precepts: I Corinthians 15:1-4
2. The Gospel’s Prospects: Whosoever will. There are no exclusions
3. The Gospel’s Power: Romans 1:16, “unto salvation”
B. Preach the Word: II Timothy 4:2-5, This is to stabilize the saints. The Word will:
1. Produce faith for his walk, Romans 10:17
2. Produce fruit in his work, John 15:16, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain.”
3. Produce freedom in his worship, John 5:39, “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.” When a man is certain of his salvation and knows of the benefits of being redeemed, he is free to worship God and praise him for his blessings.
III. The Method: How is a man to go about preaching and pastoring. There are two things:
A. The Essence of Preaching:
1. Expounding the Scripture, “Preach the Word”
2. Exalting the Savior, “If I be lifted up…”
3. Exhorting the Saints, Luke 4:18-19, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.” This was the prophecy of Christ, and his preachers are to preach like this as well.
4. Exposing The Sin, Isa 58:1, “Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression.” Reprove, Rebuke, Exhort- 2/3 negative.
B. The Example of Pastoring: I Corinthians 2:1-5
1. Pastor’s Declaration: v. 1, “I came not with excellency of speech or wisdom...”
2. Pastor’s Determination: v. 2, “I determined not to know anything but Jesus...”
3. Pastor’s Demonstration: v. 4, “Not with enticing words of man’s wisdom...”
4. Pastor’s Desire: v. 5, “That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men..”
A Pastor is important, because he is leading God’s People- The Local Church. It is a must that we have Men of God that lead the people of God in the ways of God under the leadership of the Spirit of God!!
The Church is a special entity, and the man of God must have a heart for his local church more than anything else! It is special because:
I. It’s Founding: Matthew 16:18
A. The Founder: The Revealed Christ
B. The Foundation: The Resurrected Christ
C. The Fortification: The Gates of Hell Can Not Prevail Against It!