Summary: John 3:16 is known to all. Other 3:16 passages in the New Testament teach us important things about Jesus as well. This is Acts 3:16
(adapted from a series by Tom Ellsworth)
SERIES: “DISCOVER JESUS: The Other 3:16’s”
TEXT: ACTS 3:11-20
TITLE: “THE NAME OF JESUS”
OPEN: A. What is so important about a name?
1. How would feel if nobody knew your name?
a. When my youngest son was small, he couldn’t remember people’s names
--especially if they were his approximate age and were in the same grade at school
b. He developed the plan of just calling all his male friends, “Buddy.”
--“How’s it going, buddy?” “Hey, buddy.” “Watch this, buddy.”
c. How many of us do that with people?
--“Hey, big guy.” “How’s it going, friend?”
2. If you frequent a business, you expect them to know you by name and to greet you by name
when you walk in the door
--We like to hear our name – we want people to know our name because when they know our
name, we feel like they know us
B. I will say that there are some people that might not be very happy with their given names and want
to change their given names
--others just suffer through with whatever names their parents dropped on them
1. Some of the worst names I know of belong to preachers
--The fellow that used to minister with the Lebanon Christian Church in Lebanon, IN
was named Harry Pitts
2. But worst name of all time belongs to a now-deceased Christian church preacher
a. Last name was O-D-O-R (Odor) like, “Whew!”
b. You’d probably have trouble with that last name even if you first name was John, Bill, or
--People would still probably snicker
c. But this fellow’s first name made it even worse
--I-V-A-N: Ivan Odor
d. We sometimes call ministers in our movement, “Brother”.
--It would make it hard to introduce yourself as “Brother Ivan Odor”; especially if they
said, “You sure do!”
2. Maybe you’ve heard this classic newspaper classified ad:
--LOST DOG - $50 REWARD. Black and tan dog of poodle and German Shepherd descent.
Flea-bitten. Left hind leg missing, bald in patches, blind in one eye, left ear bitten off in dog
fight. Answers to the name of “Lucky”.
C. Several weeks ago, we started the series: “Discovering Jesus: The Other 3:16’s”
1. We looked at 1 Jn. 3:16 – “The Love of Jesus
2. We looked at Luke 3:16 – “The Power of Jesus”
3. Today we’re looking at Acts 3:16 – “The Name of Jesus”
--Acts 3:16 – “By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong.
It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to
him, as you can all see.”
D. Twice in this single verse, there is a reference to the name of Jesus.
--This occurrence is not an isolated instance
1. 75 times in the Gospels and Acts we find phrases like: the name of Jesus, the name of the Lord,
his name, etc.
2. Jesus’ name is one of power and hope. Let me tell you the story and the context of this verse.
3. We have to go back to the beginning of Acts Chapt. 3
--This morning, I want to give you the story in a simple children’s song.
Peter and John went to pray
They met a lame man on the way
He stuck out his palm and asked for an alm
And this is what Peter did say:
“Silver and gold have I none