Summary: If we cannot do something in His Name, most likely we should not do it. There are two hundred and fifty-six names given in the Bible for the Lord Jesus Christ, and I suppose this was because He was infinitely beyond all that any one name could express.
THE NAME OF JESUS!
There are two hundred and fifty-six names given in the Bible for the Lord Jesus Christ, and I suppose this was because He was infinitely beyond all that any one name could express.
Matthew 1:21-25 (KJV)
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
In this sermon we lift up the Name of Jesus. To be perfect in all we do we should be able to do so in His Name. If we cannot do something in His Name, most likely we should not do it.
Colossians 3:17 (KJV) And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
I. Salvation is only found in the Name of Jesus.
A. Acts 4:12 (KJV) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
1. You could call on all the names of the saints and all the names of the idols and it would not save you. Salvation is only found in the Name of Jesus.
2. Romans 10:13 (KJV) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
3. John 1:12 (KJV) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
II. We have power over the devil and demons in the Name of Jesus.
- Luke 10:17-20 (KJV) 17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. 18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. 19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. 20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
A. The disciples returned to Jesus saying: And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
B. Jesus said: Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy
C. He gave believers power over the enemy. Mark 16:17 (KJV) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
III. There is healing in the Name of Jesus.
A. He told the church in James 5:14-15 (KJV) 14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
B. In His Great Commission He told the believers that they could lay hands on the sick in His Name. Mark 16:18 ...... Mark 16:18 (KJV) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
IV. Our prayers are only answered by the Father God in Jesus Name
A. John 16:23-24 (KJV) 23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. 24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
1. This promise was to take place after He ascended into heaven to sit at the Father's right hand. Romans 8:34 (KJV) Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
2. When Jesus was on earth he would answer prayer. John 14:13-14 (KJV) 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
a. He said that in that day, the day He would be gone the Father would answer our Requests.