Summary: Why a failure to be thankfull is such a sin.
The Necessity of Thanksgiving
1. This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come (Perilous: dangerous).
2. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce (brutal, bloodthirsty), despisers of those that are good,
4. Traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
In these verses, the Apostle Paul tells Timothy of a group of people to turn away from. It’s hard for us to imagine God telling us to turn away from someone, but that is just what He said. As we take a closer look at the characteristics of the people we’re to turn away from, it becomes more clear.
It shouldn’t seem unreasonable for us to turn away from the blasphemers, false accusers, trucebreakers, or the unholy.
Yet, in the midst of these deplorable adjectives we find the word unthankful.
I’m afraid the attitude of gratitude has been underrated over the past few generations. No one seems to be appreciative anymore.
Particularly the younger generation has the attitude that the world owes them something. Mom and Dad has given them the world on a silver platter and never demanded any signs of gratitude and they have raised a thankless generation.
We can preach on outward sins of adultery, and drunkenness and murder, and those things should be preached on, but let’s remember that the sin of being unthankful holds much weight in the sight of God.
Luke 6: 35. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
Romans 1: 22. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23. And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25. Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27. And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,