Summary: Designed to stimulate believers to evangelize in order for there to be quantitative growth in the Kingdom
Victory Christian Outreach Church
(Victorious Faith Ministries)
The Need For Multitudes: Jn 15:16
Bishop David Ibeleme
Sunday 17th March 2002
The concept of evangelism denotes multiplication, however many are not too excited about this.
Why Many Don’t Want Multitudes:
1) The “Few Mentality”: Jg 7v2-7; Is 59:16; Ez 22:30.
v Idea that God doesn’t need multitudes because He is God all by himself
v He needs only a few and in some cases only one, so what’s the fuss.
2) Conflicts Arise With Multitudes: Acts 6v1; Ex 18
v Some, would rather not deal with conflicts, so they detest the idea of multitudes
3) Increased Diversity: Acts 10v9-20; 15; Gal 2
v This puts a demand on our tolerance, creating a need for spiritual growth or maturity.
v This means we have to change.
v The process of change is not always pleasant though the result is.
4) It Puts A Demand On Our Administrative Capability: Acts 6v1-7; Jn 6v5-13;
v Many don’t want to get involved in the difficult job of functioning in leadership/management.
v Being in the “hot seat” – having to make tough decisions.
5) It Puts A Demand On Our “Limited” Resources: Jn 6v9
v Economic theory makes us perceive that our resources are inadequate or limited.
6) It Places A “Personal Growth” Demand On Us: Acts 6; Ex 18v17ff
v More babies are being born, so the cribs are needed. I have to make room.
7) It Attacks Our Selfishness: Acts 2/4; Ex 18v15-16.
v Makes us have to share things we would rather hold unto eg resources, position/authority.
v We would rather “own it all” or “do it all or do it by ourselves”.
v There is a fear of, not being needed or being redundant.
Why Multitudes, Is there really a need for them?
1) We Are Created To Multiply: Gen 1:26; Jn 15:16; Ps 115:14
v It is part of our “God ordained” destiny. We cannot be fulfilled without it.
2) It Is The Way Success Is Measured: Gen 26v12-14; Deut 1:10: Matt 25v14-30:
v Every living thing must grow.
v Hebrew word for multiply (rabah)= resources (to furnish), abundance, success, to excel.
3) It Is The Way Strength Is Measured: Ex 1:7-12; 2Kg 6v14-15; 2Chron 20v12.
v Hebrew word for mighty (atsam) = powerful, as bone or to break bones, strength.
4) God Is Honoured Or Glorified By It: Jn 15:8; Jer 30:16ff; Prov 14:28;
v It is His handiwork so He delights in it.
5) It Is Needed To Do The Great Commission: Mk 16:15ff; Acts 1:8.
v The extent of the task- it is a global one. Hab 2:14
v No man can fulfil this task alone.
v Labourers are needed. Matt 9:35ff.
v It increases influence hence boldness, Greek word for multiplication (plethuno)= to influence.
v Jesus was delivered Matt 21:46 and then crucified Lk 23:21, because of the influence of multitudes.
v Needed to break new grounds and operate in governmental authority Acts 4:23ff.
7) It Is The Result Of Fulfilling The Commission: Acts 2v41-47/4v4
v Greek word for multiplication (plethuno)= to fill, to fulfil, to accomplish.
v It is impossible to fulfil the great commission and not grow or multiply.