Summary: Showing the example of Timothy & Epaphroditus, Paul taught that our desire should be to perform the "needs of Christ" and not that of ourself.
A. Thus far, as SERVANTS, wou were charged with having the mind of Christ”
1. Vs. 1-4 described how the believer should Live in Humility. Vs. 5
2. Vs. 6-11 described the Example of Christ himself.
- Set His Equality with God aside
- From the highest to the lowest
- in appearance (in all ways) as a man
- Obedient to God and died a sinner’s death (the worst of all sinners)
- Because his obedience to his father, from the lowest to the highest
3. Vs. 12 – 18 described the Example of Paul – Mind of Christ
- A Drink Offering – So that Christ be Exalted
- He must increase, I must decrease
4. Today – Vs. 19-30 the Example of 2 Pastors – the Mind of Christ
- Timothy & Epaphroditus
- Pastors of Humility
- A different type of message today. No Deep Spiritual Meaning
- In a book study, there are parts you just have to wait on God for the application.
- DO YOU LIVE FOR YOUR OWN NEEDS OR THE NEEDS OF CHRIST?
- DOES YOUR PASTOR…LEADER…TEACHER…?
I. THE MIND OF TIMOTHY – CHRISTLIKE – (Verses 19-24)
BACKGROUND on Timothy:
- led to the Lord during Paul’s 1st Missionary Trip
- joined Paul on his 2nd Missionary Trip
- Left at Thessalonica & Berea when Paul was forced to leave.
- Now years later, we find him still at Paul’s side
READ VERSES 19 & 20
- To prepare the way or take care of the church. An Assistant Minister.
- Like minded with Paul – Like minded with Christ
Both loved Christ. Both loved each other. No question of jealousy, insecurity, but love and respect BECAUSE they had the mind of Christ.
VSE CONT ON NEXT PGE.
- 20) He has a “genuine interest in your welfare”
His CARE for the church.
(remember, he was with Paul when the church was started).
Went through the persecutions as Paul went through them.
A TRUE CARE must be in the heart of every pastor.
READ VERSE 21
2 POSSIBLE MEANINGS CAUSING WRITERS TO DIFFER:
1- That Paul had spoken with others about taking this trip to Philippi on his behalf but were more concerned for themselves than what matters to Jesus.
2- Paul was reflecting on the state of a selfish world where so few SELFLESS people can be found.
CONSIDER: WHAT would be said ABOUT US?
READ VERSE 22
- “has proved himself” – Others (Mark) had deserted him at different obstacles.
- Our leaders? ME? Have I proven myself? Have our leaders?
READ VERSES 23-24
- Would send Timothy once his ruling was announced
- Was confident that he too would join them (Vs. 1.19)
TIMOTHY – OUR FIRST ‘PASTOR’ EXAMPLE
- Had Proven Himself to Christ, Paul, and Church
- Developed the mind of Christ under Paul’s teaching
- Lived a life of Humility shown by the way he cared for Christ’s Church!
II. THE MIND OF EPAPHRODITUS – CHRISTLIKE – VERSES 25-30
- Don’t know that much but it is believed he is the minister of the Philippian congregation. In fact, it is uncertain as to whether or not Epaphroditus was still here when this was wrote. Some feel he had already left Rome.
READ VERSE 25
4 THINGS of this servant:
1. “My brother” - of Christian family - had the mind of Christ
2. “fellow worker & fellow soldier” - willing to stand in defense of and for the advance of the gospel.