Summary: Many believers today are paralyzed by guilt, shame, doubt and fear. God's desire is to set them free and transform their lives into something beautiful, holy, and fruitful.
THE NEW LIFE IN CHRIST
New Things. We all like to get new things.
A new car, a new hunting rifle, a new TV, a new phone– all of these are really good. Even better– a new grandson. Now, that’s the Best!!
But, even as I say that, there is something new that’s even better than all of these........ The New Life in Christ.
Many today are struggling in life because of things in their past.
Many believers today are living in defeat because they have never embraced the new life that God has for them. They struggle with doubt, with guilt, with shame, with failure. And God never intended for the Christian life to be lived that way.
God desires that we each enjoy the new life He has for us.
1. THE PROMISE OF NEW THINGS.
2700 yrs ago, God’s people were defeated and destroyed living in captivity. They had no home and were captive by the enemy. They were miserable and life was hard. They were there, though, because of their sins. That’s what sin does. It destroys our lives. It destroys our homes. It vanquishes all hope for a wonderful, blessed life.
* God, though, knew there situation. He loved them and desired to set them free. God’s prophet announced to them a wonderful opportunity to embrace God’s promise of a fresh start, new things.
Is 43:18-19 18 “Do not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past. 19 “Behold, I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert.
This passage is 2-fold.
* It was an immediate promise to deliver the Jews from Babylonian captivity. It seemed impossible as they were held captive by the greatest nation and army in the world. But, when God promises to deliver, He makes highways in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
* It was also a prophecy of even greater things to come. It speaks of the coming of the Messiah that brings new things to all the world. With all the world enslaved by sin, defeat and hopelessness enveloped the world in darkness. It seemed that there was no hope left at all. But, at the proper time, the Light of the World stepped into that darkness and brought hope to all people.
2. THE HOPE FOR YOUR NEW LIFE.
John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
Sin came into the world as Satan deceived Adam and Eve. With it came darkness, suffering and death. Satan’s desire is to destroy any joy that you might have in life. He wants to destroy you, your family, your marriage, your hopes and dreams. He is winning big in USA today
Jesus, though, came to “undo the works of the Devil” and bring life where it has been destroyed, to bring hope in hopeless situations, to restore everything and more to you than Satan has robbed from you!
2 Cor 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
Our hope for a better life comes thru our relationship with Christ. When you are saved, you become a new creature. You are no longer that old person. Your sins are removed. You are brought into the family of God. You are given every right and power that a child of the King has.
** How is this hope accomplished?
Rom 6:3-4 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
When you are born again, you place your faith in Christ and are baptized, physically, but also spiritually into Jesus Christ. Your identity is in Him.
Just as Christ physically died for our sins and was raised from the dead, our old self dies to sin and is buried with Christ and we are raised up as a new creature in Christ.
* Notice Christ’s desire is not only that we ARE changed, but that we LIVE a changed life.
* He has so much more for each of us than most of us are experiencing.
3. EMBRACING YOUR CHANGE.
Eph 4:22-24 22 that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, 23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.