Summary: God calls us to value the past, but not to dwell in the past, and he calls us to live in the new, so we can see the new things God is doing.
Isaiah 43:16-21 The New Thing
1. First God Reminds us of the Old things God has Done
A. God says I made A way through the Sea Reference to what happened in Ex 14:28
• Isaiah 51:10 claims, "Was it not you who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep"
B. God made a Path in the depths of the Sea the mighty water
• Isaiah 51:10 who made a road in the depths of the sea so that the redeemed might cross over?
C. God caused the mighty army, never to rise again he explains it as He snuffed them out
• 17who drew out the chariots and horses, the army and reinforcements together, and they lay there, never to rise again, extinguished, snuffed out like a wick:
2. Secondly God calls us to Value the Past
A. One finds Value at Crossroads I stopped, and I thought is this the direction I should take
• Jeremiah 6:16The lord said, "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
B. The Past has Value it causes one to Produce Faith in God
• 31And when the Israelites saw the great power the LORD displayed against the Egyptians, the people feared the LORD and put their trust in him and in Moses his servant
C. The past has Value which can relinquish (Abandon, renounce) the one of two opinions
• Elijah went before the people and said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." the test at Mt. Carmel
3. Thirdly, God calls us Not To Dwell on the Past
• 18"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
A. God is saying you can’t dwell on that failed Class
B. You can’t hang on to that Love that just never worked out
C. You can’t dwell on "well I remember when we had"
D. You can’t live in that time you live in now time
4. Fourthly, God calls to Live in the New Things
• 19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland
A. Consider some of the new Things God is doing:
1. God has given us a new Breath
• ,Ezek 37:9 `This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come from the four winds,
• breath, and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’ " 10So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet--a vast army
2. God has given us a new day to praise and worship Him where wealth dwells
• Psalm 112: 3Wealth and riches are in his house, and his righteousness endures forever.4Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
3. God has given us New Mercies this day I see
• Lam 321Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: 22Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. 23They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
A. New Mercies I see when we were pitched into the Fiery Furnace
B. New Mercies I see I a wakened with the lion as my pillar Daniel
C. New Mercies I see he spared me from the lion and bear and now
he spares me from this giant Philistine
D. New Mercies I see a new Life in our Churches the out poring of . the Holy Spirit
Spirit of the living God, Fall afresh on me. Spirit of the living God, . Fall afresh on me. Break me, melt me, Mold me, fill me, . Spirit of the living God, Fall afresh on me.