Summary: The first announcement of Christ 's birth was at night.
Text: Luke 2:7-18
A. The Hour of Ages.
(1) History had been waiting for the hour of Christ 's birth.
(2) The words of the prophets had been waiting fulfilment for centuries.
(3) When Mary gave birth to Jesus, the long- awaited hour had arrived.
B. Witness Called to Confirm This Holy Historic Event.
(1) Angels were dispatched to a nearby hillside to announce the birth of Christ.
(2) Shepherds were invited to Bethlehem 's manger to see the newborn Saviour.
(3) Imagine being the shepherds on this night of miracles.
A. THE NIGHT (vs. 8)
1. The first announcement of Christ 's birth was at night.
2. How fitting that Christ should be born at night!
(a) The world was in spiritual darkness.
(b) Christ was born to deliver those in the darkness of sin (Rom. 13:12-12).
(c) The birth that night would doom the powers of darkness (Eph. 6:12-18).
3. What night meant to the shepherds until the angels came
(a) Night was a time of weariness and worry over their sheep.
(b) Night was the end of another day of unfulfilled ambitions.
(c) Night was a time of uncertainty over what might happen as they slept.
4. Then an angelic announcement of salvation changed everything.
B. THE LIGHT (vs. 9)
1. Suddenly, the hillside was flooded with light.
(a) The glory of the Lord shone round about them.
(b) The darkness in their lives was about to flee away.
2. Light and the Lord.
(a) The first words of creation were "Let there be light"(Gen 1:3).
(b) "The Lord is my light and my salvation "(Ps. 27:1).
(c) "In him was life ; and the life was the light of men(John 1:4).
3. The One in the manger would say, "I am the light of the world "(John 8:12).
4. Christ came to call us out of darkness into His marvellous light(1 Peter 2:9).
5. Believers are headed for heaven , where the Lamb is the light (Rev. 21:23).
C. THEIR FRIGHT (vs. 9-11).
1. "They were sore afraid"
2. The light of God reveals His holiness and our sinfulness (Isa. 6:1-8).
3. The angelic message took their fears away.
(a) "Fear not; for, behold I bring you good tidings of great joy"
(b) The message was of a Saviour , "who is Christ the Lord"
4. Faith in Christ our fears - and our sins- away
A. Faith Was Tuned to Sight (vs. 15-17)
(1) The shepherds went to Bethlehem and found their promised Saviour.
(2) After seeing Jesus, they became the first missionaries , telling others of Him.
B. Christmas Should Move Us to Be Missionaries Too