Summary: Uses the analogy of nuclear fission to describe the attack on the family.
The Nuclear Family under attack
If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?” Ps. 11
REFLECTION: Our God is a God of intense and intentional design. When we tinker or actually violate those designs, the effect is often catastrophic. In Psalm 11, David asked the same question that many of us find ourselves asking in the wake of the social experiments of these past several years. “What can we do about the disintegration of our society?” The Hebrew word for “Foundations” in this passage means a basis, political or moral support: purpose.
There has been an intentional and systematic attempt to undermine the foundation of our society, (the political or moral support or purpose). There has always been a battle between right and wrong. Often the battle materializes in physical, political, and philosophical conflicts. We know that behind all of it is a spiritual battle that rages unseen. (Eph. 6:10-18) We are seeing the results of a carefully planned, generously funded, and meticulously executed “battle plan” in our society.
DIRECTION: Colossians 1:`7 reminds us that Jesus both “created” everything, and that literally “by Him all things consist.” (Literally “set together”) The foundation of the physical world is the atomic structure of material. (Nucleus of Proton and Neutron surrounded by Electrons) To destroy an atom (the ultimate “foundation” of the material world) you must bombard the nucleus with particles in attempt to break through the energy fields and forces that protect it. The introduction of “unnatural” neutrons into the nucleus sets in motion the following sequence:
1) The atom becomes “unstable”
2) This unstable atom seeks to release the extra energy in the form of harmful radiation. (usually gamma rays).
3) If the atom cannot reach stability again, it will literally “explode”, producing at least two completely different atoms (isotopes) and releasing more harmful radioactive particles (such as Neutrons, gammas, and Alpha particles).
4) These harmful radioactive particles then infiltrate other nucleus’, creating a “chain reaction” that can lead to an atomic explosion. (Uranium releases 2.3 other “Neutrons” capable of sustaining a nuclear reaction.)
THE SAME PROCESS IS OCCURING IN OUR SOCIETY.
The family is the “foundation” (atom) of society with marriage as its Nucleus. Children are like electrons that “orbit” around the nucleus. The “Nuclear Family” was once defined as a man and his wife raising their own children. The nuclear family is under attack.
(Col 2:8) "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."
1) Individual families become unstable after the introduction of “philosophy and vain deceit after the tradition of men.”
2) The resulting “tension” is “vented” through conflict, accusation, blame, substance abuse, etc.