Summary: The Christ of Our Lives.
1. Christ Jesus is the God one who emptied Himself. Jesus Christ is the Man later glorified.
Jesus – Name – Human
Lord – Title – Deity
Christ – Office – Savior
2. The New Testament Greek word Christ is a translation of the Old Testament Hebrew word Messiah or Anointed.
3. In the Old Testament “Messiah” is identified with hope, whereas in the New Testament “Christ” is related to the work completed.
4. Christ is found 211 times in Paul’s writings, his favorite term for Jesus.
5. Christ the Savior lives in me (Gal. 2:20; Eph. 3:17), not Jesus the man.
6. Messiah means anointed, each of the three offices is entered by anointing (1 Kings 19:16; 1 Sam. 16:13; Lev. 6:20).
7. Anointed by oil is the symbol of the Holy Spirit.
8. Jesus anointed by the Holy Spirit at the beginning of ministry (Lu. 3:16, 21-22; 4:1, 14, 18).
B. THE THREEFOLD ANOINTED OFFICE
1. The Anointed Prophet.
a. The Old Testament prophet was called the man of God (Deut. 33:1), the servant of the Lord (2 Kings 17:13), the called of God (nabi), the seer (1 Sam. 9:9), the chronicler (2 Chron. 29:30).
b. The Old Testament prophet had three duties; (1) For teller/spokesman for God. Jesus the Word of God” (Rev. 19:13), (2) Fore teller/prediction. Jesus predicted coming Holy Spirit, second return, tribulation, etc., (3) Forth teller/a preacher, the Sermon on the Mount.
2. The Anointed Priest.
a. Advocate (lawyer or Paraclete). He represents our case to God and pleads His blood for our sins and the whole world (1 John 2:1-2).
b. Intercessor (the go-between) the Man (Heb. 7:24), who was without sin makes intercession for believers (v. 25).
3. The Anointed King.
a. Jesus is called King (1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 15:3).
c. Jesus has subjects (Phil. 2:10-11).
C. THE CHRIST OF OUR LIVES
1. Union with Christ. Our position in heaven (standing).
2. Communion with Jesus. Our place on earth (state).
3. Moral union. Oneness of will and purpose (John 14:20).
4. Federal union. Basis of justification whereby we are declared righteous.
5. Organic union. Members of the body of Christ.
6. Indissoluble union. We have enteral life that will last forever.
7. Completed union. “It is finished.”
In Christ On Earth
The mind of Christ
Justification Children (regeneration)
Struggle with lust
D. IDENTIFICATION WITH CHRIST
1. Crucified together – Gal. 2:20
2. Died together – Col. 2:20
3. Buried together – Rom. 6:4
4. Made alive together – Eph. 2:5
5. Raised together – Col. 3:1
6. Glorified together – Rom. 8:17
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.