Summary: The old rugged cross reaches, reasons, reaps, and redeems humanity.
“The Old Rugged Cross”
I found this description of what it was like to be a victim of the Cross
• Crucifixion was one of the most cruel and barbarous forms of death known to man. It was practiced, especially in times of war, by the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Egyptians, and later by the Romans. So dreaded was it that even in the pre-Christian era, the cares and troubles of life were often compared to a cross. The agony of the crucified victim was brought about by
(1) the painful but nonfatal character of the wounds inflicted,
(2) the abnormal position of the body, the slightest movement causing additional torture,
(3) the traumatic fever induced by hanging for such a long period of time normally it would take two or three days before death.
1. I am sure many of you have heard of the gigantic tree Known as the General Sherman This tree stands 275 feet tall the General reaches 36 feet in diameter
A. There is a tree that reaches from earth to heaven known as the Old Rugged Cross
This tree stands between us and Eternity
This tree stands as a choice broad or narrow way once know by as the road less traveled
B. The Tree stands as a Reminder John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life!
C. The Tree Reminds us of the love of God despite our sins But God commended His love towards us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
D. The Tree reminds us He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all.
2. The Old Rugged Cross not only reaches but it also Reasons (Makes us think, draws conclusions,)
A. Isaiah 1:18"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, scarlet . . . crimson. Refers to the blood that has stained the hands of murderersthey shall be as white as snow; A powerful figurative description of the result of forgiveness (see Ps 51:7 7Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow)though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.
3. The Old Rugged Cross Reaches, Reasons, and it Reaps The Cross Pulls one out of sin
, `Four months more and then the harvest '? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. 36Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together.
A. To Reap is to Obtain or Gain Paul shares with Timothy what we obtain in the old rugged Cross .2 Timothy 2 10Therefore I endure everything that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, If we died with him, we will also live with him; 12if we endure, we will also reign with him. 13if we are faithless, he will remain faithful,
B. Paul shares what we Gain from the Old Rugged Cross . 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain We gain a better Body we gain a glorified body we gain an immortalized body, and we gain a resurrected body. In this body of clay we are subject to all the sorrows and tears that is heir to. Age sickness and finally death are the end of this of this body made from the dust of the earth. But in death we gain a better body a body that cannot grow old, a body that cannot know diease, cannot suffer pain, and can never die The perishable will be clothed with imperishable The Mortal shall be arrayed with I mortality
4. The Old Rugged Cross Reaches, Reasons, Reaps, and Finally it Redeems
A. The Old Rugged Cross Provided Redemption for all people according to the psalmist
a. The Old Rugged Cross Provided us with Redeeming Grace 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and we are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,I through faith in his blood.
b. The old Rugged Cross Provided the Lamb that would take away the sins of this world. Revelation claims His worthy-ness "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation
c. Yes The Old Rugged Cross Provided our response is what is recorded in Revelation "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!" , "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped.
We need to fall on our knees right now and worship the Christ who died on that Old rugged Cross/