Summary: The One True God has revealed Himself as the eternally self-existent “I AM”, the Creator of heaven & earth & the Redeemer of mankind. He has further revealed Himself as embodying the principles of relationship & association as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.”
The One True God
Intro.: There are a lot of people that say they know who God is…
1. The Muslims call him “Allah”
2. Witches call it “nature”
3. New Agers say it’s “themselves”
4. I can’t name the Hindu gods because there are over 8 million of them
5. And the Bible names at least 18 false gods that are worshipped
A. There are three kinds of people in the world…
1. Atheists – those who believe in no God
READ: Psalm 14:1, The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God...”
2. Agnostics – those who believe that there might be a God, but He has no
interested in them or their lives…
3. Theists – Those who believe in a God
B. There are three kinds of theists in the world…
1. Polytheists – those who believe in many gods (Hindu’s)
2. Monotheists – those who believe in some form of supernatural being
3. Christians – i.e. us – Those who believe in the God, not a god
READ: Deuteronomy 4:35 and 39 “To you it was shown that you might know that the LORD, He is God; there is no other besides Him. Know therefore today, and take it to your heart, that the LORD, He is God in heaven above and on the earth below; there is no other.”
NOTE: The One True God has revealed Himself as the eternally self-existent “I AM”, the Creator of heaven and earth and the Redeemer of mankind. He has further revealed Himself as embodying the principles of relationship and association as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.”
I. His Name
READ: Deuteronomy 6:4-6, “Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD (Yahweh) is one! You shall love the LORD your God (Elohim) with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.”
A. Before Moses recites the greatest commandment in vs. 5, he tells Israel what they must know about God in vs. 4
1. He is “Yahweh”, showing His eternality – Jehovah – the existing One
2. He is “Elohim”, showing His plurality
a. Elohim is the Hebrew plural of God – plural as in 3 in 1
3. “The Lord is One” shows His unity
a. In purpose, cooperation, intention, etc.
B. Vs. 4 is one truth that Jewish people have always held to
1. Jesus reminded them of what to do next
READ: Matthew 22:36-40, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ “This is the great and foremost commandment. “The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ “On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”
II. The Is, the Was and the Will Be…
A. Who or what was God to those that say they know Him?
1. He WAS the Creator
2. He WAS the Deliverer
3. He WAS the Savior
4. He WAS the Healer
5. These statements are from a “God is dead” perspective
B. Who or what will God be to those that say they know Him?
1. He WILL BE our soon coming King
2. He WILL BE Israel’s Messiah
3. He WILL BE the Master of the Universe as soon as the devil is defeated
4. He WILL BE the Judge of all mankind
5. These statement are from a “God is presently impotent” perspective
C. He already is all of these things…
1. Creator, Deliverer, Savior, Healer, soon coming King, Messiah, Master of the Universe, Judge and much more…
D. He didn’t say, I was or I will be, He said I AM!!!
READ: Exodus 3:13-15, “Then Moses said to God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” God, furthermore, said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations.”
E. Who sent Moses?
1. The “I was”?
2. The “I will be”?
3. NO! – The I AM sent Moses
Concl.: The One True God is the Great I AM