Summary: A look at the births of John and Jesus
THE ORIGINAL DYNAMIC DUO
INTRODUCTION: A Recap of Luke’s Introduction (1:1-4)
A. v. 1 - Many had written about the life of JESUS.
B. v. 2 - Eyewitnesses passed one their first hand knowledge of JESUS’ life.
C. v. 3- After careful investigation, Luke set out to write an orderly account of JESUS’
life for his friend Theophilus.
D. v. 4 - Luke’s account was to provide a firm foundation for Theophilus’ faith.
I. BOTH BIRTHS WERE ANGELICLY ANNOUNCED. (vv. 5-38)
A. Gabriel’s visit to Zechariah. (vv. 5-25)
1. He was a FAITHFUL priest. (vv. 5-10)
* Zechariah = "JEHOVAH has remembered"
* Elisabeth = "GOD is my oath"
* 3 character qualities: upright, obedient, and blameless
* of the division of Abijah, one of 24 priestly divisions each serving 2 weeks a year in
* "his lot was to...burn incense", a privilege given to a priest only once in a lifetime,
leading the nation in prayer.
2. He was a FRUSTRATED priest. (v. 7)
* Children are a blessing from God. (Psalm 127:3)
* Childlessness was a source of much sorrow.
+ Genesis 30:1 = Rachael = "Give me children or I’ll die".
+ I Samuel 1:10 = "Hannah wept much..."because she was barren.
* Like Sarah, Elisabeth was not only barren, but also old, beyond the normal child
3. He was a FEARFUL priest. (vv. 11-13)
* The appearance of an angel gripped Zechariah with fear.
* "Fear not" was the angel’s message to Zechariah.
* The angel promised Zechariah an unusual son.
4. He was a FALTERING priest. (v. 18-20)
* Considering his limitations instead of God’s power, he doubted, and asked for a sign.
* The sign given was that he would be speechless until the baby was born.
5. He was a FAVORED priest. (vv. 13-17, 21-25)
* God’s promise was fulfilled when Elisabeth conceived.
* Their son would be "a joy and delight", and he would "be great in the sight of the
* He would be a Nazirite, completely dedicated to God, drinking no wine.
* He would be filled with the Spirit.
* He would turn the hearts of the people to God.
* He would prepare the way for Messiah.
B. Gabriel’s visit to Mary. (vv. 26-38)
1. The ANNOUNCEMENT of Gabriel (vv. 26-28)
* The time: 6 months after Elisabeth conceived
* The place: Nazareth, a small, despised place
* The person: Mary, a virgin, engaged to be married
* The message: "You are highly favored...The Lord is with you."
2. The APPREHENSION of Mary (v. 29)
* She was greatly troubled.
3. The ASSURANCE of Gabriel (vv. 30-33)
* He gave her a blessing: "You have found favor"
* He gave her a promise: "You will be with child"
* Her Child would be a person of"
+ PARDON - "JESUS" = Saviour
+ POWER - "He will be great"
+ PREEMINENCE -"The Son of the Highest"
+ POSITION - "the Throne of David...He will reign"
+ PERMANANCE - "His kingdom will never end"
4. The ASTONISHMENT of Mary (v. 34)
* She was confused. "How will this be?"
* She was chaste. "I am a virgin"
5. The ANSWER of Gabriel (vv. 35-37) His explanation:
* The Spirit = "will come upon you"
* The Son = the "Holy One", "the Son of God"
* The sign = "Elizabeth... is going to have a child"