Summary: Adopted - literally means "to place one as a son" - Deliberately chosen - Making him or her the rightful heir to inherit the fathers estate
-2 Sam 9:1-13 – MEPHIBOSHETH = “destroying shame”
- The Adopted Lame Orphan
- Father & Grandfather dead
- Became lame on both of his when he fell at age 5 – 2 Sam 4:4
- Orphan - Child permanently bereaved of or abandoned by their parents.
> Word found only once in scripture
- Lamentations - Israel at the time of the conquest of the Chaldeans
Lamentations 5:3 (AV)
3 We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers are as widows.
Outside Of Christ, ‘Orphans’
• Un-cared for & homeless
• Overwhelmed by sorrow
• No protection
• Hopeless & helpless despair
Ps 88 is the saddest Psalm – Note Ps. 88:1-3, 6, 8-9, 14-16
Orphaned Because of Sin
- Romans 8:15 (AV) For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear…..
- Rephrase to the negative – You have the spirit of bondage that brings fear
- Sin Orphans & Enslaves
The intellect by its opinions
• The heart by its pleasures
• The imagination by its promises
• The soul by its religion
• We become a willing captive
A Promise Hope
John 14:18 (NIV84)
18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
2 Co. 4:6-9 – Paul encouraged in his distress
- Adoption - literally means "to place one as a son"
- Deliberately chosen
- Making him or her the rightful heir to inherit the fathers estate
• The adopted has a new father
• All connections to the old life are erased
• Heir to all the rights of the new family
- “Dear Father” or “Daddy dear”
- 3x in scripture (Note the sequence)
Mark 14:36 (AV)
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
Romans 8:15 (AV)
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Galatians 4:6 (AV)
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
• A close personal intimate endearing term
• Spoken by a little child to their father
Chuck Swindoll - My children know how to ask for favors in
such a way that they get a positive response. They know that demanding and nagging don’t work. They have learned that I respond best to sweetness, love, and respect. My daughter might say, “Daddy dear, there is a terrific dress on sale at Nordstrom’s. Would you split the cost with me?” How can I say anything but yes to that kind of an appeal?
2 Corinthians 6:18 (AV)
18 (I) will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
v. 16 – Sp bears witness that we are the children of God
- Witness of the Sp. is the Word of God
Leslie Lynch King, Jr.
- Died January 2007
- Headlines were made about his death around the world.
- Commentators talked about his legacy
- American flags were lowed to half-staff in his honor.
- A tribute reserved for presidents.
- Who then was President King?
- You can’t find any record of a president by that name