Summary: THE PASSION OF THE CHRISTIAN
THE PASSION OF THE CHRISTIAN
Jesus’ followers fully expected to see Christ reign as King over Israel in their lifetime. However, the Lord knew differently, and at this point He begins to prepare them for the unexpected. Before the kingdom reign there was to be the building of a Church!
I. THE STRIKING REVELATION. v.21"From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day."
The Disciples Misunderstood :-
1. The Plan of Salvation v. 21 Note:-
(a) The Compulsion of Calvary - "He must go unto Jerusalem."
(b) The Complexity of Calvary v. 21 "and suffer"
The Complexity Of His :-Sufferings(many things), His Sacrifice( Be killed),His Salvation (raised again) Rom 4.v 25 "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification."
(c) The Compensation of Calvary v. 22 "then Peter"
2. The Price of Salvation v. 22 "be it far - this shall not be unto thee"
1 Peter 1 v 18 "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:"
Rev 5 v 9 "And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;"
3. The Profit of Salvation v. 26 " For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? -here we have an impossible gain (world), an immeasureable loss (soul), an immaterial profit - (what profit?)
4. The Promise of Salvation v. 27 "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."
(a) The promise of His coming v. 27 " For the Son of man shall come."
(b) The purpose of His coming v. 27 "he shall reward"
(c) The preview of His coming ch 28 v. 1 - 8 on the mount of transfiguration
II. THE CHALLENGING INVITATION. (Vs 24) "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." ie. In the light of Calvary
Note The :-
(a) The Call to Discipleship "if" - it was divine, direct - "any", distinct - "come", and deliberate "to calvary"
(b) The Conditions of Discipleship - he must:-
(1) Make his Decision Deny self, - "nothing in my hand I bring, simply to thy cross I cling."
(2) Fulfil his Duty Take up his cross - - "the death march of crucifixion" "must Jesus bear the cross alone and all the world go free, no there’s a cross for everyone and there’s a cross for me." also his delight "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross"
(3) Follow his Direction -follow in death, in resurrection, in ascension and to glory