Summary: The path to God’s joyful presence is set forth in this Psalm.
The Path to God’s Joyful Presence PT 2
I.THIS MONTH WE ARE GIVING SPECIAL EMPHASIS TO SEEKING GODS PRESENCE
A. Our verse of the month comes from Ps 16. and deals with the joy of His presence (Read)
II. THERE ARE SEVERAL CRUCIAL TRUTHS ABOUT THE BELIEVER’S JOY THAT WE MUST CONTINUALLY KEEP BEFORE US .
1. Joy is a gift of God, and like all of his other inner gifts it can be experienced even in the midst of extremely difficult circumstances.
2. Joy is grounded in God Himself and flows from Him. Rom 15:13
3. Joy is not an isolated or occasional consequence of faith but rather an integral part of one’s whole relation to God.
4. The fullness of joy comes when there is a deep sense of the presence of God in one’s life. Ps 16:11
5. We cannot experience joy while being preoccupied with our own security, pleasure, or self-interest.
III. THE PATH TO GOD’S JOYFUL PRESENCE
Verse 11 is the summary of Ps 16
1. David says God will make known to him the path of life that leads to His presence where there is fullness of joy!
2. I believe that path leading to God’s joyful presence is given in the preceding verses.
B. We have seen the first 4 steps on the path to God’s joyful presence.
1. Complete trust in God’s care and protection (1)
Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.
2 Complete surrender to God as Lord (2)
I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
3. A true conviction that God is our chief good. (2)
I have no good besides You."
4. A SINCERE DELIGHT IN GOD’S PEOPLE (3)
As for the saints who are in the earth,
They are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight
*TODAY WE WILL SEE SHALL SEE 3 MORE STEPS
E. STEP-5 A DISSASSOCIATION FROM THE UNGODLY (4)
1. David realizes the life of the wicked in filled with sorrow and pain.
2. He will not associate himself with them and be brought into their wickedness and thus join in their sorrows and misery.
3. His disassociation is expressed in two ways.
*He will not be a part of their pagan sacrifices
*He will not even utter their names.
4. If you want the joy of the Lord in your life you cannot have close associations with the ungodly.
5. The reasons are obvious.
*Bad company corrupts good morals
a. you will be tempted and drawn into their evil ways
b. you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas
*Their worldview is ungodly and their negativism will pull you down.
6. I am not saying you should not have non-Christian friends( how can you witness to them if not) but your close friendships should be with Christians.
7. In summary: How can you experience the joy of His presence when you spend most of your time with those who know nothing of God or His joy?
F. STEP-6 A REALIZATION THAT THE LORD IS OUR TRUE INHERITANCE (5)
1.One’s inheritance was very important in the OT days
*A person’s station in life was greatly determined by their inheritance
*You remember the inheritance was so important to Jacob he tricked his father
Isaac and put himself at enmity with brother Esau in order to obtain the double portion given the elder son.
2.When Israel went into the Promised Land each tribe was given a section of the country as their inheritance.