Summary: The Perfect Christmas Gift - John chapter 3 verse 16 sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• A Personal Gift
• A Practical Gift
• A Pleasing Gift
• A Permanent Gift
• My wife Penny is not in the room so let me tell you what I have got her for Christmas.
• You may be surprised to know that I have bought her an artificial leg!
• Well, obviously that’s no her main present,
• It’s just a stocking filler!
• I don’t know if I should tell you this,
• But I did find from her a note placed on my desk.
• Rather, than a long list certain items, she simply requested
• “Something that will make me look sexy and beautiful”.
• (Pause for effect)
• Can’t wait to see her face Christmas morning when she discovers her exercise bike!
Question: Is there any such thing as, "The perfect Christmas gift?"
• Some of you have probably planned out your gift months ago,
• You have gotten everything together,
• For what you knew would be the perfect gift for your loved one.
• In fact, you were so excited that you could hardly wait for them to get it.
• But maybe it didn’t turn out perfect as you were expecting!
• How do you know the perfect gift when you see it?
• What requirements does it have to meet?
• Does it just have to meet a certain weight in gold?
• Or have a certain amount of diamonds or come from a certain price bracket?
• Does it just have to come from a certain store or have a certain designer’s name on it?
• And who decides it is the perfect gift; the giver or the receiver?
• I have found the perfect gift!
• Are you ready, then I will share my knowledge with you,
• I am giving away the gift of ‘Nothing’.
• And this Christmas I am going to be very generous in sharing that gift.
• Let me explain why!
• NOTHING is truly an incredible product.
• Look at what NOTHING can do:
• NOTHING slices.
• NOTHING dices.
• NOTHING is fat free & glutton free.
• NOTHING cuts cholesterol.
• NOTHING cures cancer.
• NOTHING makes you happy.
• NOTHING is acid free.
• NOTHING is antibacterial.
• NOTHING is recyclable.
• NOTHING is delivered.
• NOTHING is guaranteed not to chip, crack or peel.
• NOTHING is politically correct.
• NOTHING is available in boxes.
• NOTHING is available in bottles.
• NOTHING is available in bags (plastic or paper).
• NOTHING beats a great pair of legs. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one!)
Ok, Not convinced then listen to these endorsements from the rich & famous:
• Actress & Hollywood legend Elizabeth Taylor:
• "NOTHING saved my marriage."
• Plato, The Republic
• “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”
• Russian American novelist Ayn Rand wrote:
• “If you write a line of zeroes, it´s still nothing.”
• George Gershwin was an American composer and pianist who said:
• "I got plenty of nothing"
• Actor Karl Urban:
• “Nothing beats a great smile”
• The great bard of Avon - William Shakespeare:
• “Having nothing, nothing can he lose.”
• That great philosopher Winnie the Pooh said:
• “Doing nothing often leads to the very best of something”
• (A A Milne)
• So in my household, the Curley Clan can expect the great gift of ‘Nothing’.
• And this Christmas I am going to go overboard and share that gift!
TRANSITION: This evening, I want to talk to you about The Perfect Christmas Gift.
• If you are still awake and listening you might be thinking to yourself:
• "Didn’t he just tell us that he had no idea what a perfect gift is;
• And now you are going to preach to us about what one is?”
• Let me explain;
• I can do it because I am not speaking from my own wisdom.
• I have expert advise when it comes to choosing of the Perfect Gift!
• My expert source when talking about the perfect gift is God.
• And he has shared this information with us in his Word, the Holy Bible.
• I find four principles we can take on board;
• As we examining the Perfect gift!
• When it comes to God and giving;
• I want to base what I say on John chapter 3 verse 16.
• This verse is so important because it explains the reason for Christmas
• It explains why history is divided into B.C. and A.D.
• It summarises the message of the Bible in a single sentence.
• It tells you how to settle your eternal destiny.