Summary: One thing is given: We will all face storms in our lives. Lets learn how to face them with Jesus.
THE PERFECT STORM
Matt.14:22-27 Rev. R.B.Hughes
Indebted to John Maxwell
Matt 14:24 “… the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary. …… And they cried out for fear.”
I love storms! I always have. Even as a child …
- I love the wind … the rain … the hail (the bigger the better)
- I love the roar of the thunder and the crack and flash of the lightening. (esp.night)
- I love the crashing waves …. Those you can hear like thunder … raging rivers.
Then again …. I have never been in a tornado .. Trapped in a full force hurricane … trapped in a raging river … never pounded by hail the size of softballs …
The power and effects of a storm is more welcome then the lessons of a storm. The costs of a storm … the devastation a storm can leave.
The Bible is full of storms …
- Noah ….. Elijah outrunning Ahab when the cloud the size of a man’s hand ..
- Jonah … Parable of house on the sand … Paul shipwrecked .. Disciples and storm
A couple weeks ago before the Dave Montgomery funeral … no perfect storm ..
- A perfect storm is any storm in which there is a true revelation of Jesus.
I WANT TO EXPAND UPON THAT TODAY …. LETS PRAY … MATT.14:22-27
ILL/ Story of man building a house …
- Ever thought that enough is enough?
I’m sure Job felt that way … still one of the most devastating records of immediate personal lost ….
13Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house; 14and a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, 15“when the Sabeans raided them and took them away—indeed they have killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 16While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 17While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three bands, raided the camels and took them away, yes, and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 18While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house, 19“and suddenly a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they are dead; and I alone have escaped to tell you!”
20Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped. 21And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD.
The lightening has struck … the thunder has sent fear … the STORM HAS COME.
Jobs situation gives intriguing insight behind the storm … which we have but Job didn’t at the time.
ARE YOU IN A LIFE STORM?
- Loss? Direction? Forsaken? Confused? Bills? Purpose? Friends? Enemies?
Lets learn a little about our storms …
II. THE THING ABOUT STORMS
1. EVERYONE has them. Matt.5:45
- We all know what it is like.
- Maybe for you the clouds are gathering … or dispersing .. maybe in MIDDLE of it right now.
Matt.5:45 “that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
- Believers or Unbelievers … Storms are no respecters of persons.
Matt. 7:24-27 … House on sand or rock .. THE STORM CAME TO EACH.
Everyone has them ….
A) Some storms are a result of being OUT OF Gods will.
- Jonah deliberately disobeyed God … storm came.
- Acts 5. Ananias & Sapphira disobeyed … lied about their giving.
- Scripture is full of examples .. Cain, Lots wife, Nebby, Judas ..
You can walk directly into a storm by willfully and willingly walking against Gods word and will for your life.
BUT this is not always the case …. Remember the storms enter the life of the “good” as well. … As a matter of fact ….
B) Some storms are a result of being IN Gods will. Matt.14:22
Matthew 14:22 Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away.