Summary: "Take this rod in thine hand" Weak and Meek Ones Can Reach Hurting People for Christ.
A. Moses Called to Deliver Enslaved, Hurting People
(1) He was God's man of the hour
(2) All Christians have a similar call
B. Needed : Millions to Be Used Like Moses
(1) What kind of man was Moses?
(2) Can God use you and me?
A. In Speaking, He Was WEAK (Ex. 4:10)
1. "O my Lord, I am not eloquent"
2. "I am slow of speech"
3. He seems unlikely to be chosen
(a) He must convince His people of his call
(b) He must confront Pharaoh with his claim
(c) But he was God's choice for the job
4. God has often empowered those not eloquent
(a) Jonathan Edwards read his sermons
(b) His preaching brought great revival
5. God has chosen the weak (1 Cor.1:26-31).
B. IN MANNER, HE WAS MEEK (vs. 13)
1. He didn't feel qualified
2. Wanted to defer to someone more able
3. The meekest of all men (Num. 12:3)
4. Definition of meek: patient, gentle disposition
5. Meekness is the opposite of prideful
6. Jesus said: "I am meek and lowly in heart" (Matt. 11:29)
7. The meek shall inherit the earth (Matt. 5:5).
C. HE WASN'T ONE THE WORLD WOULD SEEK (vs. 16-17)
1. Moses seemed so unqualified.
(a) Not the take-charge kind
(b) Not the leader we might expect
2. God would have to compensate for his inadequacies
(a) "I will be with thy mouth" (vs. 16)
(b) "Take this rod in thine hand" (vs. 17)
3. God uses whom He chooses
4. Peter and John, through ignorant and unlearned, were called( Acts 4:13)
5. D.L. Moody with his lack of education
6. Billy Sunday , a professional ball player, and his style of preaching
7. Moses who had failed before
A. God Can Use You and Me
B. We Can Serve God as We are
C. Weak and Meek Ones Can Reach Hurting People for Christ
1. F.B. Meyer one explained it this way:
I used to think, that God's gifts were on shelves
and the taller we grow,
The easier we can reach them.
Now I Find that
God's gift are on shelves
and the lower we stoop,
The more we get.
2. How low are you?