Summary: The Picture of The Suffering Messiah
1. Psalm 22 - pictures the Good Shepherd dying for the sheep (Jn.10:11)
2. Psalm 23 - the Great Shepherd caring for the sheep (Heb.13:20-21)
3. Psalm 24 - the Chief Shepherd coming for the sheep (I Pet.5:4)
The Picture of The Suffering Messiah - 22:1-15 The Problems of the Suffering Messiah - 22:1-5
1. The Supernatural Declaration - 22:1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
1.There was the Agony of His Spirit (22:1–2)
None of the ransomed ever knew
How deep were the waters crossed,
Or how dark was the night the Lord passed through
‘Ere He found the sheep that was lost.
2.There was the Agony of His Soul (22:6, see vv. 4–13) 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
Here is the language of utter humiliation.
3.There was the Agony of His Body (22:14)
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
2. The Supernatural Darkness - 22:2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. Matt.27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.
3. The Supernatural Dominance - 22:3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel “The distress I am under is indeed severe; but I find it lightens the stroke very much to creep near to Him who handles the rod.”
Daniel 6 v 18 Then the king went to his palace, and passed the night fasting: neither were instruments of musick brought before him: and his sleep went from him. 19 Then the king arose very early in the morning, and went in haste unto the den of lions. 20 And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions?
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
4. The Supernatural Deliverance - 22:4,5 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them. 5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
Deliverance From : -
The Passion of the Suffering - 22:6-8 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
The Pain of the Suffering - 22:11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
The Poverty of the Suffering - 22:12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. 13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
The Power of the Suffering - 22:14,15 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.