Summary: We have caused the literal and spiritual piercings of the Son and of the Father by our sinful practices.
Versions of Zechariah 12:10
AMP: 10 “I will pour out on the house of David and on the people of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace (unmerited favor) and supplication. And they will look at Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him as one who weeps bitterly over a firstborn.
RSV 10 “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of compassion and supplication, so that, when they look on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a first-born.
ESV 10 “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.
NASV 10 “And I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem [h]the Spirit of grace and of pleading, so that they will look at Me whom they pierced; and they will mourn for Him, like one mourning for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn.
1. This scripture reference in various versions made me think of the way in which BOTH God and Jesus were pierced by the crucifixion of the Son of God.
2. Many kinds of body piercings today and throughout history
a. When my daughter was five, one Friday she announced to her preschool class that she was going to get her ears pierced that weekend. When she came home, she told my wife and me that she wanted to have her ears pierced that weekend and was very insistent in her demand. After a while, my wife decided to go ahead and “get ‘er done.” So, she took our daughter to the store where she could have her ears pierced and buy some earrings for her. My wife later told me that our daughter did fine for the first ear, but then decided that she didn’t want the second one done, she did not realize pain would be involved. She convinced our daughter to continue and she came home with two pierced ears and wearing two earrings (plus she had had a special treat afterwards as part of being convinced to continue).
b. Many civilizations throughout history have engaged in body piercings such as the “Nez Perce” Indians of the NW USA. Their name means, “Pierced Nose.”
c. The O-Kee-Pa suspension, named after the Native American rite, is a vertical suspension hooked from the upper chest — many people have seen this ritual done in the movie "A Man Called Horse." It was intended to put the participant into a transcendental meditative state. (O-Kee-Pa - BME Encyclopedia)
3. Biblical piercing – Slave with awl – Exodus 21:1-6
5. As mentioned above, Zechariah can read “Him” or “Me.” Let’s consider the piercings of Jesus from both angles:
I. We Pierced Jesus (“Him)” – Isaiah 53:5
A. Jews AND Gentiles Were Complicit in the Crucifixion
1. Demands of the Jews – Luke 23:20-21 20 Pilate addressed them once more, desiring to release Jesus, 21 but they kept shouting, “Crucify, crucify him!”
2. Carried out by Pilate and the Romans – His fear of Caesar and insurrection
B. OUR Involvement in His Literal Piercings – Romans 3:23
1. His Crown of Thorns – Mocking Him as King; Deals with our thoughts
2. Striking Him and Demanding Prophesying – Matthew 26:68 “Prophesy to us, you Christ! Who is it that struck you?” – Mocking Him as Messiah – Our speech and faith
3. His Scourging – unlimited; saltwater to revive – Psalm 22:17 17 I can count all my bones— they stare and gloat over me; – Our Burdens
4. His Nails [Museum in Jerusalem has a heel with a nail in it] – Our hands and what we do; Our feet and where we go;
6. This is all about At-one-ment and Redemption (paying the price of a slave) – Leviticus 17:11 1 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life.