Summary: Joseph learned a big lesson in his life and it all started with a pit. This is about the pit's we all fall into in life's journey.
A. GOD’S AVERAGE JOE is saying:
-“I RELATE TO EVERYBODY.”
-“I LOVE EVERYBODY.”
1. I don’t “I HAVE TO FIT IN THE CROWD - THING””
2. Or “I have a certain “STATUS” I have to MAINTAIN”
B. God desires that an AVERAGE JOE is like the Man in Gen 5, ENOCH.
Genesis 5:24 (NIV)
Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.
1. Everything he had, Everything he was he gave to God
2. ENOCH, didn’t walk in FRONT or BEHIND God, “He walked with God”.
3. Because of his humility, God missed him, SO HE TOOK HIM UP EARLY.
C. God’s desire for all of us is to walk with HIM, so He can take US UP.
1. But unfortunately, most AVERAGE JOES aren’t humble.
2. So God INVENTED something to make us an AVERAGE JOE.
3. ITS CALLED FAMILY (turn and say, love ya family)
D. Our story today is about our AVERAGE JOE’s FAMILY.
1. Joseph’s family was extremely DYSFUNCTIONAL in everyway.
2. His FATHER Jacob most of his life was a DECEIVER
3. There was always turmoil going on between the parents and the kids.
4. The oldest slept with one of his father’s wives
5. They were DYSFUNCTIONAL to the CORE.
They were the “TYPICAL AMERICAN AVERAGE JOE FAMILY”
SKIT: VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
CUE: TYPICAL AMERICAN AVERAGE JOE FAMILY
Jacob died and now his brothers are worried
Genesis 50:19 (NKJV)
Joseph said to them, "Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God?”
He knew he was in the place of God, but he didn’t want to take God’s place
A. Where’s the best place to be in your life? GOD’S PLACE
1. As we continue to go through this story.
2. I want you to get the END OF THE STORY in your HEART
3. Joseph ENDED up in GOD’S PLACE.
WHERE WE END IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF LIFE
Genesis 50:20-21 (NKJV)
“But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good,” in
order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. Now
therefore, do not be afraid; I will provide for you and your little ones." And
he comforted them and spoke kindly to them.
B. Did you GET THAT?
“But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good”
1. As you’re taking this JOURNEY to get to GOD’S PLACE.
2. There’s going to be EVIL going against you.
3. But God takes the EVIL and BRINGS GOOD out of it
LET’S GET BACK TO THE DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY
Genesis 37:2-4 (NLT)
…Joseph reported to his father some of the bad things his brothers were doing. Jacob loved Joseph more than any of his other children because Joseph had been born to him in his old age. So one day Jacob had a special gift made for Joseph—a beautiful robe. But his brothers hated Joseph because their father loved him more than the rest of them. They couldn’t say a kind word to him.
C. WHO HATES A TATTLETALES?
1. The BROTHERS knew he was a DADDY’S BOY, he always ran to DADDY.
D. FATHER showed PARTIALITY.
1. The BEAUTIFUL ROBE that he gave to JOSEPH, belonged to the ELDEST that was JEWISH TRADITION