Summary: stand fast in one spirit by the truths of the Gospel, in opposition to every error.
THE POWER AND VALUE OF LOVE
The apostle having finished what he proposed to say concerning the trying of spirits, returns to his former exhortation to brotherly love, and which comes with fresh force and strength; for since worldly men follow, hear, embrace, and cleave to the false teachers; such as are of God, and on the side of truth, should love one another, and their faithful ministers, and stand fast in one spirit by the truths of the Gospel, in opposition to every error.
I. GOD IS THE SOURCE OF MAN'S LOVE (1 JOHN 4:7-8).
a. Man Has Capacity to Love Because Of God (v.7).
“Beloved, let us love one another: for love is from God”
John 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing.
b. Man Who Doesn’t Love Doesn’t Know God (v. 8).
“He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
Romans 3:23 Man is a sinner and he cannot truly love his brother
II. GOD DEMONSTRATED THE MEANING OF LOVE (1 JOHN 4: 9-11).
a. Christ died so that we might live. (v.9).
“God hath sent his only begotten Son into the world that we might live through him.”
• God has shown his great love to us by sending His Son to die for us.
b. God loved us; we must also love each other (v.11).
“Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
• We should love one another for God’s sake
III. GOD PERFECTED US THRU HIS LOVE (1 JOHN 4:12-15).
a. He dwelled in us (v.12).
“if we love one another, God abideth in us”
• To abide as a permanent resident
b. He has given us His Spirit
“Hereby we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He hath given us of His Spirit.”
The duty and value of love are enforced by the following considerations:
(1) Love has its origin in God, and everyone who has true love is born of God, 1Jo_4:7-8.
(2) God has shown his great love to us by having given His Son to die for us; and as He has so loved us, we ought also to love one another, 1Jo_4:9-11.
(3) If we love one another, it furnishes the best evidence that God dwells in us, 1Jo_4:12-13.