Summary: What passion for God is NOT. What it is. 5 passion killers. 3 things you can do to cultivate passion for God.
THE POWER OF NEW PASSION
A. HUMOR: MOON ROCKS
1. When the U.S. landed men on the moon, one of their missions was to bring back some moon rocks for study.
2. NASA turned over one rock for study to the Univ. of Texas science department, another to Rice University, and a few others to selected prestigious universities.
3. Texas A. & M. was offended that they were overlooked and didn’t receive a moon rock for study. Having no more moon rocks, NASA substituted by sending them a “cow chip.”
4. U.T. & Rice turned in reports that their moon rocks were mainly composed of minerals such as olivine, pyroxene, and plagioclase feldspar.
5. After a year of study, Texas A. & M. issued their report, which read, “We are happy to announce that we have confirmed, that the cow - did in fact - jump over the moon!”
(only show the first 41 seconds, please....)
1. What are you passionate about? I don’t believe LOVE is “doing right” or “keeping God’s commands” or even “being patient and kind.” That’s what love looks like when it walks & talks. BUT LOVE…IS…PASSION!
2. Q -- DO YOU HAVE PASSION -- FOR GOD? If someone looked at your life, would they say YOU HAVE PASSION?
NOT for missions, NOT for ministry, NOT for evangelism –
BUT FOR GOD!!!
3. I can’t stand it when Christians tell people, “You’ve got it all – a good job, great spouse, good kids, money, house, car – all you need to add is Jesus.”
4. NO! YOUR LIFE IS WORTHLESS APART FROM JESUS CHRIST!
5. Someone told me, “I have a new relationship with the Lord.” Really? Do you have a new relationship with SIN? Because if you don’t have a new relationship with sin, then you don’t have a new relationship with the Lord!
6. Heaven’s going to be a wonderful place – a place without sin. Many say they want to go there, but they really don’t. I can prove it to you – because they don’t want it NOW!
7. We’re looking this morning at the POWER OF A NEW PASSION. My title is, “Passion for God.”
I. GOD’S CALL TO BE PASSIONATE
A. GREATEST COMMAND? BE PASSIONATE!
1. One day a man walked up to Jesus and said, "Lord, what’s the most important thing in the Bible?" Jesus said, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” Mk. 12:30.
2. In other words, “Nothing matters more than that. That’s the number one thing in life. I want you to love Me passionately." God doesn’t want you to love Him half-heartedly, but with all your heart and all your soul.
3. Mark 12:30, Message Bible, reads, "Jesus said, ’Love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy."
4. God is saying that in our relationship with Him, He wants us to put some muscle into it – some energy, emotion, spark, enthusiasm, zest!
B. GETTING SIDETRACKED
1. Everything in life conspires to keep you from being passionate. I’ve had helium balloons get loose and go up to the ceiling. Someone said, “How do we get them down?” “Don’t worry about it. They’ll be down by morning!”
2. A lot of times we’re like that. When you first become a believer and you discover God’s love for you – you’re so excited about it. Your sins are forgiven! God is going to blessing is on you! You now have a future home in heaven! But as time goes by you begin to lose your steam, life becomes normalized.
3. When I was converted at 20 years of age, I fell in love with the Lord Jesus. I began to devour His Word….talked to Him constantly….witnessed….so overzealous that I ran off all of my former friends.
4. This loss didn't affect me that much because I was so in love with Jesus that nothing else really mattered to me. But the newness can fade over time.
C. PASSION CONTAINS THE SEEDS OF ITS OWN BLESSING
1. We all want God’s blessing on our lives and our kids. THE KEY IS NOT TO ASK GOD TO BLESS WHAT YOU’RE DOING, BUT FIND OUT WHAT GOD IS BLESSING, AND BEGIN TO DO THAT!
2. David was “a man after God’s own heart,” passionate about God. He wanted to do what was on God’s heart – God’s perfect will, or as close as he could get to it.
3. That very trait endeared David to God. God wants more people thinking that way. So God always pours out His blessings/ Spirit on those who put His kingdom first, who’re seeking His best will.