Summary: We’re jealous of the wrong people...we want to be the wrong people...this message helps us all get some Biblical perspective
THE POWER OF DOING GOOD
Week 4 of “Living Beyond Myself”
BTCC SUMMIT/EDGE – October 9, 2005
Going to describe 2 famous women –
• When guess name – tell person next to you
• Born August 26, 1910, in Macedonia.
• Youngest of 2 sisters, had 1 brother.
• Father: wealthy businessman. Raised Catholic. Well schooled.
• 1919 father Nikolai died, possibly murdered.
• In 1925 read about the Jesuit work in India.
• In 1929 she went to India.
• In 1931 took her first vows as a nun and began teaching girls at St. Mary’s school in Calcutta
• In 1937 she became Mother Superior of the school
• In 1946, during murderous riots in India, God called her to help the poor
• In 1948 she left her cloister to work in the slums
• In 1949 she became a citizen of India
• In 1952 she opened “House of the Dying”
• In 1955 she opened a Children’s Home
• In 1957 she began mobile “leprosariums”
• In 1960 her order began serving all of India
• In 1961 she bought land for leper town
• In 1963 she launched the Missionary Brothers of Charity
• In 1965 her order spread to other countries
• In 1969, her work was filmed by Malcolm Muggeridge
• In 1970, Muggeridge published a book about her, titled, “Something Beautiful for God”
• In 1973 she received the Templeton Award
• In 1979 she was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace
In February, 1997 – just 7 months before she died – she was the guest of honor at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington
• President and Mrs. Bill Clinton were seated there at the speaker’s dais
o “…the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a war against the child – a direct killing of the innocent child – murder by the mother herself. And if we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another? Please don’t kill the child. I want the child. Please give me the child. I am willing to accept any child who would be aborted, and to give that child to a married couple who will love the child, and be loved by the child. From our children’s home in Calcutta alone, we have saved over 3,000 children from abortions. These children have brought such love and joy to their adopting parents, and have grown up so full of love and joy!”
Who IS she?
• Sure – Mother Teresa!
Now, see if you can guess who this next famous woman is:
• She was born in Houston, Texas, November 28, 1967
• She dropped out of school in the 9th grade
• At age 18, she married Billy Smith, the cook at Jim’s Krispy Fried Chicken Shack
• She divorced Billy two years later
• Their marriage produced one child – a son, Daniel Smith
• At age 20, she began modeling
• She met her second husband in 1991, in Houston, while she was working at a place called, “Gigi’s” as an exotic dancer
• He was one of Texas’ wealthiest oil tycoons
• They married three years later, when she was 27…and he was 89
• Her husband died 14 months after their wedding
• During their time together, her husband reportedly gave her gifts worth more than $6 million dollars
• In 1992, she was – shall we say – the featured personage of the month in a men’s magazine