Summary: In Christ, we have a living Saviour who lives and hears our prayers. In Him, we can experience the power of the resurrection.
In Jesus, we have the power to change.
Let’s read the encounter of 2 disciples of Christ – Acts 3:1-10. And Paul’s words - Phil 3:10 “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection…”
We see here two very confident disciples Peter and John.
• They saw a man in need, a crippled man – on their own they were unable to help. “Silver or gold I do not have...” Peter said.
• But then he went on, “…but what I have I give you.” That’s the Person of Jesus Christ.
• I cannot help you but I know One who can and that’s Jesus. He is alive and He is able to help you.
• “In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Before that, Peter said, "Look at us!" He wanted this man to pay attention. He is going to introduce to Him the Name of Jesus.
This man trusted that Name Jesus. How do we know?
• Later on we see Peter explaining to the crowd what had happened. And this is what he said in verse 16: “By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.”
Where did Peter and John get that kind of faith? Why were they so confident?
• They saw with their own eyes the resurrected Jesus. He is alive, not dead.
• And He has given them the commission to go preach this good news, urging people to put their trust in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sin.
• They know the Lord is with them. And when they call out to Him, they are able to experience His help.
This wasn’t the Peter we know 7 weeks ago. When Jesus was arrested, Peter was afraid.
• He and the rest of the disciples went into hiding. He was not at the place Jesus was crucified.
• In fact, Peter denied knowing Jesus 3 times. He did not want to be associated with Jesus.
But now we see Peter proclaiming the Name of Jesus openly, and with courage and faith.
• Why? Something has changed. He saw the resurrected Christ. Jesus appeared before His disciples after His resurrection.
• Now they know He is not dead. He is alive and He is with them.
• When Peter said, “In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth” he is not calling for a dead man’s help.
• Jesus is alive today, and therefore we can experience His presence and His power. Just as Paul said in Phil 3:10 – we can know Christ and the power of His resurrection.
RUNNING TO A CROWD OR THE CEMETERY
Supposed you are being chased by a madman, and you had the choice of running either to a mall full of people or a cemetery, where would you run? I think we would all run to the mall, where there are living people who can help you, and not to the cemetery where the dead rest. No one is going to response to your cry for help.
No wonder Peter and John were so confident.
• They were not overly surprised by what had just happened. They know the Lord can do wonders, as they had seen Him doing wonders for over 3 years.
DOES NOT LOOK REAL ENOUGH
An elderly woman made her living selling artificial fruits. A customer always complains that her fruits do not look realistic enough.