Summary: The power in the atonement.
TITLE: THE POWER OF THE BLOOD COVENANT.
TEXT : MAT. 21:5-9
Matthew 21:5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee,-meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.
Matthew 21:6 And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them,
Matthew 21:7 And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes,-and they set him thereon.
Matthew 21:8 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way;-others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.
Matthew 21:9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried,-saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of-the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
INTRO: Today, we celebrate Palm Sunday. This is when Jesus made His triumphal-entry into Jerusalem with streets filled w/ praise. People were saying,-"Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the-Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
However, we need to remember Jesus purpose for entering Jerusalem that day.
Matthew 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how-that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief-priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
He went to Jerusalem in order to fufill prophecy, to die on a cross and shed-His life blood for our sin.
(Christ on the cross)
This happened nearly 2,000 years ago, but today ...
PROP: THERE IS STILL POWER IN THE BLOOD OF JESUS.
EXCLAM: TODAY, WE NEED TO EXAMINE JUST WHAT KINDS OF POWER ARE INTRINSIC-(WITHIN) THE BLOOD OF JESUS.
TRANS: FIRST OF ALL, THERE IS THE CLEANSING POWER OF THE BLOOD OF JESUS.
I. THE CLEANSING POWER OF THE BLOOD
A. POWER FOR FORGIVENESS/ REMOVAL OF SIN
1. Forgiveness of your sin is a finished work as far as God is conerned,-"having forviven you all your trespasses." - COL 3:13
2. This means the price was paid for any sin you have or ever will commit!
3. To receive you simply need to accept the gift by confessing/ appropriating-the power of the blood.
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.-And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the-righteous:
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but-also for the sins of the whole world.
4. After we receive the benefit of the blood God's hostility toward's us is-also a finished work. Meaning He's no longer mad at us. - 2COR 5:18
2 Cor 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by-Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
B. POWER FOR PERSONAL JUSTIFICATION
1. Good standing with God.
2. Job pondered the question many years ago of "how should a man be just with-God?" - JOB 9:2
3. Blood covenant has always been the price to stand before a holy God. (i.e.-- Adam-Eve, Law, Christ)
4. Now through the complete work of Christ atoning blood we can stand before-God, completely holy/ pure by a new living way.
Hebrews 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by-the blood of Jesus,
Hebrews 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us,-through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
TRANS: THERE ARE ALSO MANY OTHER VARIABLES OF POWER WITHIN THE BLOOD OF JESUS-CHRIST AND OUR POWERFUL BLOOD COVENANT WITH HIM.
II. OTHER VARIABLES IN THE POWERFUL BLOOD COVENANT
A. POWER FOR PEACE - COL. 1:20
Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to-reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in-earth, or things in heaven.
1. Spec. inner peace, because of our harmony with God.
2. Specifically when we lay our head down to sleep, we know that we are ready-to meet God.
3. Religon / meditation cannot give you peace (get in touch w/ inner voice)
B. POWER FOR HEALTH/ HEALING - ISA. 53:5
Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our-iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we-are healed.
1. Phys. , Mental, and Emotional.
2. Ann Grham.
3. Glenda's hip
4. Seekers don't give up, because there is still a conduit of healing flowing-to those who are ill in body, mind, or emotional make-up.
C. POWER FOR TRUE PERSONAL IDENTITY -
1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible-things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition-from your fathers;
1 Peter 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without-blemish and without spot: