Summary: THE POWER OF THE WORD OF GOD
NEHEMIAH CH. 8 – THE POWER OF THE WORD OF GOD I. THE CONGREGATION OF GOD’S PEOPLE. (1-13)
(Note how they requested God’s Word – this is the place to start for a revival)
A. Their Request for God’s Word. 1 And all the people gathered themselves together as one man into the street that was before the water gate; and they spake unto Ezra the scribe to bring the book of the law of Moses, which the LORD had commanded to Israel. They Gathered :- Unitedly all the people gathered themselves together as one man Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. They Gathered :- Willingly gathered themselves together A Sense Of Appreciation, Of Adoration, Of Anticipation. They Gathered :- Expectantly bring the book of the law of Moses God had said, "I will send a famine on the land, Not a famine of bread, Nor a thirst for water, But of hearing the words of the LORD" (Amos 8:11). Walls had been finished but they needed the return to God's ways. a. The Bible had been a forgotten book!
b. The Bible had been a forsaken book!
Jeremiah 6:16-17–“Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein. 17 Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken.”
B. Their Reading of God’s Word. (3-4) 3 And he read therein before the street that was before the water gate from the morning until midday, before the men and the women, and those that could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive unto the book of the law.
1. The length of the reading. from the morning until midday
2. The listening to the reading. and the ears of all the people were attentive unto the book of the law. 3. The love for the reading Recognised the symbolism & significance of it ie. National Restoration
C. Their Reception of God’s Word (5) And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up: a. God’s Word is the “God-breathed” Word of God, II Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
1) The “holy Scriptures” – the sacred writings – “which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus”
2) The Bible is “given by inspiration of God” ” – it is “breathed out from God,” and it “is profitable…” (II Tim. 3:16).
3) It makes “the man of God…perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works” (17).