Summary: The resurrection of Jesus affects all space and time. Because of Jesus' resurrection we don't have to be afraid, we can expect the unexpected, and we can have a fresh start.
THE POWER OUTFLOWING FROM HIS RESURRECTION
Mt. 28:2-6; Luke 24:36-43; Phip. 3:10
A. HUMOR: APRIL FOOL’S DAY JOKES
1. In 1976 the British astronomer Patrick Moore made an announcement on BBC Radio. He said this: “At 9:47 a.m. today there will be a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ astronomical event occurring.” The planet Pluto would pass behind Jupiter, temporarily causing a gravitational alignment that would counteract and lessen the Earth's own gravity.
2. Patrick Moore told his listeners that if they jumped in the air at the exact moment that this planetary alignment occurred, they would experience a strange floating sensation. When 9:47 AM arrived, Radio 2 began to receive hundreds of phone calls from listeners claiming to have felt the sensation. The date was 1st April 1976.
3. On 1st April 1998, Burger King announced a new item on their menu: a "Left-Handed Whopper" especially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. The ingredients were the same, but all the items were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left-handed customers.
4. The next day, Burger King said that it had been a hoax, but thousands of customers had gone into the restaurants to request the new sandwich. Many others, ordering, had requested the 'right handed' version.
5. It just so happens that April Fool’s Day falls on the same day as Easter this year, but be very clear that Jesus’ resurrection not only DID happened, but it’s one of the most certain events in history.
2 And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it. 3 His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. 4 And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men. 5 But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here; for He is risen, as He said.” Matt. 28:2-6. “36 Now as they said these things, Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them, and said to them, “Peace to you.” 37 But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” 40 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41 But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, “Have you any food here?” 42 So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. 43 And He took it and ate in their presence.” Luke 24:36-43. “[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed…” Phip. 3:10, AMPC.