Summary: To see God inject the essence of this prayer into the church and to encourage His people to seek His will.
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST
“THE PRAYER FOR GOD’S CHURCH”
A. Last week we started our study through the letter of Paul to the Colossians
1. Paul began by praising them for their love of Christ
2. He spoke of their faith, love and hope in the gospel
3. And their fruitfulness, in the Lord’s work.
4. There was a joining of hearts as Paul heard about this church: as Paul had written to the church at Rome: The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: Romans 8:16
B. As we come to verses 9-12 of this first chapter we see Paul launch out into a prayer for the church.
1. In deed it is a great prayer.
2. A couple of years ago God gave me a couple of series outline – which I have not preached yet
a. One was entitled “If I Could”
1) If I could Tell You About My Savior
2) If I could Tell You About My Church
3) If I could Pray for You – this would have been from this passage
b. At the same time I wrote another outline Series entitled “As Your Pastor I Would Like To Express To You
1) The Purpose of the Church
2) The Ministries of the Church
3) The Prayer for the Church, this would have come from this passage
3. So this morning I want to look at this passage as The Prayer For God’s Church.
C. Paul is passionate about this church, so much so that without ever being there he expresses a heart felt prayer for them.
1. It was all based upon what he had heard from Epaphras
2. Paul writes, For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire… Col. 1:9
3. Because they are God’s church doing God’s work Paul prays for them
a. Please remember this is God’s word to His church throughout the ages: if we are God’s people doing God’s work this prayer is for us!
b. Not only is it a prayer for us, it is God’s desire for us, as well!
4. Here Paul prays for them to
a. Know God’s Will
b. Walk Worthy of God’s Name
c. Be Strengthened By God’s Power
D. This is a prayer worth our attention and voice – May our God grant us all that Paul has written and may this be The Prayer For God’s Church – TODAY!
Let us begin our look into Paul’s prayer – The Prayer For God’s Church – by seeing his desire for us to
I. KNOW GOD’S WILL, Col. 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
A. People today are not much different from those of past generations
1. We all look for a purpose in life
2. Some find purpose in human endeavors of social justice, military life, or the corporate world, just to name a few.
3. Some lacking purpose turn to things like drugs, alcohol, sex and any number of other activities to find an escape
4. We instinctively search for purpose because God created us with a particular purpose in mind – to glorify Him
5. This is His will for each of us!
B. So, one of the greatest things we can have is a knowledge of God’s will.
1. It is God’s will that points us to the purpose of life, it is real and personal
2. There is His general will – that which is applicable to all
a. Such as salvation, The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9
b. Being filled with the Holy Spirit, Eph 5:17-18, Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
3. And then there is His specific will
a. For His church – what are we to be doing in regards to His kingdom’s work in our area.
- Presently we are working on providing a Strategic Ministry Plan that will hopefully outline some of His will for us.
b. And then there is His specific will for us as individuals – for instance God’s will for me is that I be a pastor, this provides purpose.
c. What about you?
C. Note What Paul prays for in regards to God’s will
1. First “filled”