Summary: Here are fifteen guidelines to show us how to pray for God’s best blessings on others.
The Prayer of Blessing (Numb 6:22-27)
Here are fifteen guidelines to show us how to pray for God’s best blessings on others.
"The Lord bless you and keep you: the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord lift up His face upon you and give you peace. So they will put my name on the Israelities and I will bless them." (Numb 6:24-27)
1. RECEIVE BLESSINGS - God created us to receive His blessings. It is a thrilling realization to think that God wants to favor us with His supernatural blessings. Paul wrote, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who has blessed us with every spiritual blessings in Christ." (Eph. 1:3) For non-christians we pray that the Lord will open their heart and mind to be receptive to God’s blessings that are found in saving faith through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.
2. BLESS GOD - God knows that unless we are blessed we will not be able to fully praise, worship and reverence Him. We cannot offer God anything of worth unless He gives us something first. We love because He first loved us. (I John 4:10) God is the initiator of blessings but He expects us to bless Him in return as the giver of every good and perfect gift. Begin your prayers with praise of God as the one from whom all blessings flow. Sing the doxology occasionally in your devotions. "Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Praise Him all creatures here below. Praise Him above you heavenly hosts. Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Amen"
3. OBEY GOD - It is a command that the Lord gave to Moses, "Tell Aaron ’this is how you are to bless the Israelities." We are ordered to bless other people and not to criticize or correct them first. Many relationships are ineffective because people fail to first bless, favor or provide something positive to others. Do not think we can expect to continue to be blessed unless we are willing to trust and obey the Lord.
4. BE A CHANNEL OF BLESSING - God told Abraham that he would be blessed but also that He would be a blessing to the nations. (Gen. 12:1-15) The Lord wants us to be a conduit of His blessings to all the 24,000 people groups of the world, not just to those in our immediate family or neighborhood or workplace.
5. INVOKE GOD FOR BLESSING - "The Lord bless you." Too many people are trying to get blessings from power, position, pleasure, people, performances or preoccupation with earthly concerns. Realize what David wrote, "Whom have I in heaven but You. And besides you I desire nothing upon the earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psa 73:25,26)
6. GOD’S BLESSINGS PROTECT - "May the Lord keep you." He who keeps Israel will neithe slumber or sleep. The Lord watches over you by day and by night. Without the protection from the Lord the watchman stays awake in vain. (Psa 127:2)
7. GOD’S BLESSINGS ENERGIZE - "May the Lord make His face to shine upon you." Praise God that He energizes you when you are in close communion with Him through a knowledge of His attributes. Keith Green wrote, "Oh Lord, You are beautiful. Your face is all I need. For when your eyes are on this child. Your grace abounds to me."