Summary: This is a revamp of an earlier message I did from Bob Russell’s book, "When God Builds A Church."
I want to share a couple of passages with you this morning to ponder this morning.
Colossians 3:17 (NASB) 17Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
Colossians 3:23 (NASB) 23Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,
Today as we continue to look at “When God Builds A Church”, I want us to consider the principle of excellence.
I believe we serve a great God, and our great God has given us His best, I believe we owe Him the same in return.
There are too things done for God that are “good enough”. Too many times we look at what we are doing for God and His church and say “It is good enough.”
What we need to be doing is to ask ourselves if what we have done was the best we could do with what we had.
Our calling from God demands more from us that “good enough”, it requires our best efforts.
Let us take some time together to study the principle of excellence!
I. UNDERSTANDING EXCELLENCE
1. What is excellence?
• If we are going to strive for something, we need to know what it is. According to the dictionary, the word “excellence” means- The state, quality or condition of excelling.
• Does that help? Excellence is something that is rather subjective. How do you know if you are excelling in something or if something is such quality that it reflects excellence?
• I would give the definition of excellence is doing the very best with what you have to work with. It is something that takes more than just casual effort to obtain.
• Maybe to get some perspective on what excellence is, let us look at what the word mediocre means. Mediocre is defined as “moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary, see synonyms at “average”.
• We should strive for excellence in ALL we do in life. If we are painting a wall, are we doing the very best we can do? Notice I did not say was it perfect. Excellence is not perfection, it is the striving to do the very best we can, to give the best we have to anything we do.
• Imaging how the church would be if we all gave and average efforts. We would be a mediocre church. I believe Avis has a commercial that says they try harder. They show you what life would be like for you if the people of Avis just tried.
What would happen to a church where everyone was striving for excellence? GROWTH!
2. Why striving for excellence is important?
• SLIDE #5
Our efforts are a reflection of the God we serve.
Colossians 3:23 - 24 (NASB) 23Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Verse 17 encourages us to do all we do in the name of the Lord. Our efforts are a reflection on the God we serve. If we give God half efforts, then it will look like God is not worth our best.