Summary: Through the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, God gives us the power to do his work.
THE PROMISE OF POWER
Text: Acts 1:1-11
1. Read Acts 1:1-11
2. One New Year’s Day, in the Tournament of Roses parade, a beautiful float suddenly sputtered and quit. It was out of gas. The whole parade was held up until someone could get a can of gas. The amusing thing was this float represented the Standard Oil Company. With its vast oil resources, its truck was out of gas.
Often, Christians neglect their spiritual maintenance, and though they are "clothed with power" (Luke 24:49) find themselves out of gas.
Steve Blankenship in God Came Near by Max Lucado, Multnomah Press, 1987, p. 95.
3. Are you out of gas this morning? Do you need a fill-up?
Thesis: Through the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, God promises to give us all the fuel we will ever need.
Transition: First, we see that God’s promise is...
I. A Promise That is Extended (1-4)
A. Wait For the Promise
1. Illustration: Have you ever tried to fix something without the right tools?
2. For years, that’s what God’s people had to do.
a. God was selective as to whom he gave his Spirit
b. However, he made a promise...
3. Acts 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
4. In verse 4, Jesus tells his disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the promise.
a. Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
b. Don’t try and do it on your own
B. Promise Is For You
1. There are many Christians who say that this Pentecostal stuff is not for me.
2. Increasingly, more and more Assembly of God people are saying this Pentecostal stuff is not for me.
ƒæ 1 out of every 2 AG people are non-Pentecostal
3. However, if you are a confessing Christian than this promise is for you.
a. Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
b. Saying that this is not for you is like saying to God "thanks, but no thanks."
Transition: Exactly what is this Pentecostal promise?
II. A Promise That is Explained (5)
A. John Baptized With
1. Illustration: Once a little boy decided to baptize the family pets.
2. Jesus tells his disciples "For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence."
a. Matt. 3:11
b. Mark 1:8
c. Luke 3:16
d. John 1:33
3. Jesus draws a clear distinction here between water between water baptism and Spirit baptism.
a. The word baptism means "to immerse"
b. They would be immersed in the Holy Spirit
4. Didn’t they already have the Spirit?
a. John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
b. If they received the Spirit then why do they need to be baptized in the Spirit?
c. A second work of the Holy Spirit
B. But You Will Be Baptized With
1. Everyone receives the Holy Spirit in their lives when they are saved.
2. But the baptism of the Holy Spirit is a work of the Spirit in addition to salvation.
3. When we are baptized in the Spirit we are totally:
4. Just as the disciples were baptized in the Spirit, so we too can be baptized in the Spirit.
a. All we have to do is ask
b. Don’t settle for one work of the Spirit when God intends for you to have more.
Transition: What is the purpose of this baptism?
III. A Promise That Empowers (6-8)
A. You Shall Receive Power
1. Verse 8 is the key verse in the Book of Acts. In this verse, Jesus gives the reason for Spirit Baptism - power!
2. He tells his disciples "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:"
a. The purpose of Spirit Baptism is to empower us to do his work.
b. The word "power" means more than strength or ability, but designates power in action (Life in the Spirit Study Bible, p. 1660).
3. In the Book of Acts, the Spirit’s power included:
a. Power over demons
b. Healing the sick
5. When we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, we too can have the ability to move in this miraculous power.