Summary: the life of David was certainly a trail of sin but David also learns God is able to help get his life straightened up.
Psalm 25:1-10 “The Psalmists Trail”
1. The psalmist prays for God's mercies he has had a trail of sin
• Because he is suffering affliction for sins
• Enemies are taking advantage of his weakened state they attack with false accusations
2. The psalmist has a great desire, 4 “Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.”
• It appears that the King wants God to help him with spiritual direction
• I need to know your ways, The Psalmist has a burn within (Lead me in your truths)
• I need (Its essential for the King) to be taught about your path (a way of living that pleases God)
3. Perhaps the psalmist has been down a trail of sin, discuss,
• So he asks God to Remember: 6Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.
• He also asks God to remember 7Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD.
• He acknowledges God is love and God is Good and that is the way, He asks God to deal with his sins. Grace and mercy. We want grace and mercy not judgment
• David sees himself a sinner in need of forgiveness; servant awaiting God's pardon and guidance
4. King David needs mercy, he needs forgiveness, he needs God’s Goodness
• He acknowledges things about God 8Good and upright is the LORD
• God is a teacher of my life “He instructs sinners in his ways” . vs 8.
• In verse 9 God is ethical in all his ways 9He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them
• I exalt myself to you I lift up my soul because you are my constant 10All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful you are my constant love and faithfulness
5. Are we like David been down a trail of sin and discuss we need God’s forgiveness and Gods Goodness? Then we to need to Remember “God … instructs sinners in the way vs 8
• We like David we need to pray. “To pray is to change,” says Richard Foster, who writes about the spiritual practices that help us grow. “Prayer is the central avenue God uses to change us,” We should pray because God uses prayer to change us.
• Like David the Scripture is a guide and truth that teaches me Psalm 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
6. Finally friends, God helps us in our time of need. Our trail has been a trail of troublesome times
• When troubles come into our lives, to whom do we turn? To whom do we go for help? Psalm 121: I look unto the hills from whence cometh my help my help cometh in the name of the Lord.
• People need the Lord we need rid of this virus
• We need health care we need a shot in the arm literally a vaccination
• We need bills paid and we need jobs good paying jobs
• We want help, we want protection, we want provision, we want healing
• David writes in verses 1-2a, “To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust.”
• When troublesome times come Remember David and his army went off to war with the Philistines. While they were gone, the Amalekites raided David’s city and took captive all the wives and children. When David and his men returned, all the women and children gone.
• The Bible says, “And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters.” That is completely understandable. “But,” the text goes on to say, “David strengthened himself in the Lord his God” (1 Samuel 30:6). David lifted up his soul to God. He put his trust in God. And God eventually enabled David and his men to recover all their families safely.