Summary: The Story of Easter from the perspective of Simon Peter, and in the context of his life. We find how Jesus gave him purpose, how he lost it, and how it was restored.
The Purpose in Easter
March 23, 2008
Easter brings many different types of memories, traditions and purposes to many different types of people.
• Easter Bunny
• Cadbury Eggs
• Spring Break
• Annual Remembrance of Jesus’ death & Resurrection
Apostle Peter – Bittersweet memory
• lowest point in life, denied Jesus
Peter – A Passionate Man
• wore his heart on his sleeve
• thought with his heart then with his head
• foot in mouth
• deep quality of truth
Peter – Social Standing
• Son of John, given name was Simon
• Married, wife is not named
• Fisherman, partner with his brother Andrew
How Peter met Jesus
• Andrew, John the Baptist “Here he is, God’s Passover Lamb.”
• Andrew & friend followed Jesus home
• That day Andrew went and found brother Simon
o “We have found the Messiah”
When Andrew returned with his brother Peter, Jesus looks up and says, “You’re John’s son, Simon? From now on your name is Cephas” (or Peter which means “Rock”.
One look was all that it took for Jesus to recognize the purpose that was on Peter’s life. In one moment Jesus saw who it was that God created Peter to be.
• People grow old, don’t know their purpose
• whole life, why, how when.
All that Jesus needs is one moment with you to tell you who you are, who he has created you to be. That moment can even happen for you this morning.
Peter’s New Life Took on Meaning
• Follow Me!
• Called by Jesus along with 11 others to be disciples.
Life With Jesus was Out of this World!
• Synagogue Authority
• Water to Wine
• Healing Miracles
• Peter’s mother-in-law
o crowds came to be healed
Jesus & Peter walk on Water
• Feeding of 5000
• Disciples sent ahead of Jesus
• 4Am Ghost
• “If it’s you command me to come to you”
• Save Me
• Surely this is the Messiah, the Son of God.
Our answers to the questions that God asks us will define our lives.
• Who do people say that the Son of Man is?
• Who do you say that I am?
• Remind about the past miracles, and revelations, God speaking from heaven.
• Peter, only one, to speak up with an answer.
“You are the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” Peter believed in his heart that Jesus Christ was God. He believed that Jesus was the answer that the world was looking for. He believed that Jesus was the one promised by God through the prophets for hundreds of years. And Peter took his belief to the next level when he verbalized and confessed it with his mouth, “You are the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.”
Peter’s answer defined the rest of his life. Jesus replied to Peter, “God Bless You, Simon, son of Jonah! You did not get that answer out of books or from teachers. My Father in heaven, God himself, let you in on this secret of who I really am. And now I’m going to tell you who you are, really are. You are Peter, a rock. This is the rock on which I will put together my church, a church so expansive with Energy that not even the gates of hell will be able to keep it out.” (Matt 16:17-18 MSG)
The Passover Feast
• Jesus washes the Disciples Feet