Summary: The message deals with the Power & Authority of Jesus over physical death as well as spiritual death.
This Sermon Was Prepared For Lexington Church Of God for use Sunday Night April 7th, 2002
“The Raising Of Lazarus”
A. I believe that there is more to this story of Jesus raising Lazarus from
the dead than most realize.
For this story demonstrates the true nature of Christ.
This story exemplifies His AUTHORITY over death and sin.
This story is about the manifestation of His far reaching POWER to
reach into the grave and raise up the dead.
B. I believe that this story is about more than Jesus having the power and
authority to raise this natural body.
I believe it also demonstrates His power to bring one from the depths of SIN’S Bondage
Now Let’s Take A Look At The Scriptures;
I. The Love Of Christ
A. In verses 3-5 Lazarus’ sisters send for Jesus.
1. You see Jesus had stayed in their home and they had enjoyed
the fellowship with Him on previous occasions.
2. They had come to LOVE Christ and they had come to realize
His love for them because; a. He had stayed in their home.
Jesus had lodged with them on several occasions and I believe
He had come into their home by invitation.
b. They had enjoyed and returned His fellowship
3. Those who FELLOWSHIP with Jesus become aware of
a. They come to know the GLORY and the POWER of His Presence.
b. Those who share fellowship with Christ understand the reach of HIS LOVE
B. Jesus had passed through Bethany many times, but it was Lazarus and his sisters that invited Jesus to come into their home and into their lives.
1. They knew Him as "a friend that sticketh closer than a brother" and not as just some stranger passing through.
2. They had come to know His Love because they had sought His fellowship and His presence in their home.
C. Notice the invitation that Martha and Mary send unto Jesus.
1. Anyone who invites Jesus into their heart and life will come to know His LOVE.
2. He loves the sinner even though the sinner does not return His love or acknowledge His love.
D. Now notice the Words of Jesus following this invitation to intervene.
6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
1. At first thought, this sounds very strange:
“Now Jesus loved Martha, and Mary, and Lazarus.”
2. But when He heard that Lazarus was sick He did not rush over to Bethany to check on him or to heal him.
3. Even stranger, He delayed His trip to Bethany two
E. How could He have loved them so, yet wait so long to meet their request?
1. My friend Jesus had something BIG in mind for this
family that He LOVED SO.
2. Something that would reveal His LORDSHIP not only
to this family, but to unbelieving Jews as well.
To those who were struggling to accept Jesus as
the TRUE Messiah.
3. Something that would manifest His Authority &