Summary: The destruction of this present world will take place after the thousand year reign of Christ. Let’s preview the events that bring our new home to earth!
The Real End of the World
1. How good of an imagination do you have? How good is your long-term memory – do you remember details and what your life was like many years ago? How creative of a person are you? Are you able to trust God or do you fall apart in unusual circumstances?
2. The answer to these questions might be all the same way, positive or negative. Ramez Sasson writes, “Imagination is the ability to form a mental image of something that is not perceived through the senses. It is the ability of the mind to build mental scenes, objects or events that do not exist, are not present or have happened in the past.
“Memory is actually a manifestation of imagination. Everyone possesses some imagination ability. In some it may be highly developed and in others it may manifest in a weaker form...
“Imagination makes it possible to experience a whole world inside the mind. It gives the ability to look at any situation from a different point of view, and enables one to mentally explore the past and the future.”
3. I believe we develop the attribute of hope by focusing on our futures in heaven, the resurrection of our body, the Millennium, and in the New Jerusalem. To develop that hope, we must exercise imagination. No imagination, little interest in future details.
4. In Hebrews 11:27, the author is speaking of Moses: “By faith he left Egypt, not being afraid of the anger of the king, for he endured as seeing him who is invisible.”
5. How do you see the invisible? With your imagination. And that ability to imagine is a factor of faith and especially hope, which often accompanies endurance.
6. Prophecy exercises our imagination and creativity. This, in turn, increases our ability to develop hope. Hope matters and it breeds endurance, therefore it does our soul good to imagine the millennium, and today, the new heaven and earth. Today, we are going to consider the end of the world and our eternal dwelling place, the New Jerusalem.
Main Idea: The destruction of this present world will take place after the thousand year reign of Christ. Let’s preview the events that bring our new home to earth!
I. The Final REBELLION (Revelation 20:7-10)
A. Satan LOOSED
1. He does not make a prison break
2. God has him released to make the point: people are eager to rebel
3. They are deceived because they have gone along with truth, not loved it
B. Gog and MAGOG rebel
According to a widespread tradition, God and Magog represented the heathen nations or aggregate powers of evil, as opposed to Israel, the Kingdom of God…Ezekiel… pictured the final destruction of the heathen world before the city of Jerusalem…” [editor’s notes from the Socino Talmud]
• Does any of this strike you as insane?
• The relationship between insanity and evil is a close one
• Add ego/pride/arrogance/control into the mixture
C. Consumed by FIRE
D. Lesson: MANKIND rebels against God by nature
II. The Great WHITE THRONE Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15)