Summary: Is your salvation the genuine article
THE REAL THING
I might ask this morning the question, ‘What does your life put on display?’
‘As people watch your life unfold moment by moment, problem by problem, circumstance by circumstance, what do they gain a deeper understanding of?’
EPH 2:7 So that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
If is borrowed Bill Gates’ credit card for just 24 hours. I had both his and mine in my pocket. Visit a fancy restraunt(his), Woodland Hills Mall(his), local car dealer(HIS), buy a second home(for sure HIS).
Someone might stop me in the middle of all this madness, ‘Boy you sure are rich!’. Not at all but you are seeing are someone’s riches on display.
That is what God is interested in: His riches on display in our lives.
Literal idea is of a ‘TROPHY’, shows to all who see it a reminder of a great accomplishment.
ASSOC. GOLF CHAMPION – everything went right, I hit bad he hit good or vice versa, bounced one off a skinny tree limb and and ended up next to hole. Good Shot God!
Every moment of our lives we make a decision regarding whose resources we will dip into. God’s resources in our lives put Him on display.
There is a huge difference between our feelings and our choices. Those choices are there because of God’s Surpassing riches of His grace.
1) Look at Galations 5(fruit of the spirit) and you can see the new options for life that we all possess in Christ.
Sometimes I feel sad & depressed but I have the choice of JOY
I FEEL FEAR/choice of FAITH
FEEL ANGER but I have the choice of LOVE
I FEEL WORRY but I have the Choice of PEACE
FEEL overwhelmed in TEMPATION/choice of SELF-CONTROL
I FEEL like I want to LET THEM HAVE IT but I have the choice of GENTLENESS(strength under control)
THOSE ARE THE RICHES OF GRACE
· This morning I want us to think about Grace and our salvation. I want us to look at verses 8 & 9 and consider some wonderful truths.
(8) For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; (9) not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
1. Notice the three phrases in verse 8 which refer to our salvation: by grace, through faith, & of God.
a. Three things we can know about our salvation.
Lot’s of polls have been taken in recent years which have asks questions regarding people and their relationship with God.
· 57% of Americans believe salvation is earned through good character or behavior.
· 77% believe there is a heaven
· 76% say their chances of going are good or excellent
· 85% considered themselves to be Christians
USA TODAY: Man on the street survey asking ‘what do you think your chances are of getting into heaven’
· 50-50, the older I get the more my chances will improve
· 85%, I don’t think the entrance exam will be that tough
· 50%, you have to be a nice person so I think I am still in the running
60’s Song: Teenager after car wreck where girlfriend died, ‘Where, O where can my baby be? The Lord took her away from me; She’s gone to heaven so I gotta be good, so I can see my baby when I leave this world’.