Summary: God showed himself in many ways in the Old Testament. We will look at the names God was given and how he received those names.
Psalm 83:18That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
1. Jehovah El’ohim. “Self-Existent, Eternal Creator”
· In Genesis we see Him take a world that was in chaos:
· With out form, dark, void.
· And turn it into something beautiful.
He was before time. There is no time with God.
· He was and is and is to come.
John 1: 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
· Before you ever had a problem – he was God
· Before you were sick – he was God.
· Before you were broke – he was God.
· Before you ever went through the stuff you went through HE WAS GOD.
· 2500 times in the Word he is referred to as Jehovah El’ohim.
· Hebrews 11:3Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
2. Jehovah Jireh – “The Lord will provide.”
· In Genesis 22, Abraham led Isaac up the mountain.
· Genesis 22:14And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
· 2 Peter 1:3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Jesus was our Provision on Calvary.
* Isaiah 1: 18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
Philippians 4:19But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
3. Jehovah Adonai – “The Lord our Sovereign Master.”
· Teacher – Nicodemus - John 3:2 came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God:
· Master of the Sea and Wind. Luke 8:24And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm.
· Devils. - Luke 9:1Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
· Disease. - Matthew 9:35And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
· Death - 1 Corinthians 15:54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
4. Jehovah Nissi –“The Lord our Banner.”
· In Exodus 17 Moses stood on the side of the hill as the Israelites battled the Amalekites.
· As long as his hands were in the air Israel would be winning.
· As soon as his hands lowered, they would start losing.
· Exodus 17:15And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovahnissi:
5. Jehovah Shammoh – “The Lord is there.”
· You can go to the cliff of the world’s highest mountain, He is there.
· You can go to the deepest cave, He is there.
· 2 Samuel 23: 11And after him was Shammah the son of Agee the Hararite. And the Philistines were gathered together into a troop, where was a piece of ground full of lentiles: and the people fled from the Philistines. 12But he stood in the midst of the ground, and defended it, and slew the Philistines: and the LORD wrought a great victory.
6. Jehovah Shalom – “The Lord our Peace.”
· Gideon needed a sign from God. He laid the cakes and flesh on the rock and smot it with his staff and fire arose.
· God spoke to him Judges 6: 23And the LORD said unto him, Peace be unto thee; fear not: thou shalt not die. 24Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovahshalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.