Summary: 3 DISTINCTIVES OF THE LORD’S REIGN AS A HOLY KING
3 DISTINCTIVES OF THE LORD’S REIGN AS A HOLY KING
I. (:1-3) HE REIGNS IN MAJESTY -- SOVEREIGNTY
A. Majesty is Based on Greatness and Uniqueness
1. "The Lord reigns" -- He is the only one who reigns; He reigns supreme
2. "He is enthroned above the cherubim "
3. "The Lord is great in Zion"
4. "He is exalted above all the peoples"
5. He has a "great and awesome name"
B. The Only Response to Majesty is Awe and Praise
"let the peoples tremble"
"let the earth shake"
"let them praise Thy great and awesome name"
REFRAIN (:3) "Holy is He"
II. (:4-5) HE LOVES JUSTICE -- RIGHTEOUSNESS
"justice and righteousness"
REFRAIN (:5) "Exalt the Lord our God,
and Worship at His footstool;
Holy is He"
III. (:6-9) HE ANSWERS PRAYERS -- FAITHFULNESS
A. God’s Appointed Leaders Call Upon God for Help
Mose and Aaron: priests
B. God Answers the Cries for Help / Deliverance / Wisdom
C. Revelation Implies a Commitment to Obedience."He spoke to them in the pillar of cloud"
"They kept His testimonies and the statute that He gave them"
D. Forgiveness Is Part of the Total Package
In order for God to answer the prayers of sinners, He must first forgive them
REFRAIN (:9)"Exalt the Lord our God,
And Worship at His holy hill;
For holy is the Lord our God"
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Not only is God holy, but His name is holy as well, and is to be praised and feared for what it signifies. What does His name mean to you? Do you give His name, and the use of it, less respect than God Himself?
2) Does God’s sense of fairness and justice take into account man’s frailties and inabilities? If God dealt fairly with you, what justice would He impart?
3) As a Christian today, do you have an advantage over Moses, Aaron and Samuel in the way in which you can approach God?
4) How can God be forgiving and still discipline you for your wrongs?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)