Summary: The church needs to know the Biblical view of the relationship between the pastor and the church
I. The current conflict in the average church
- Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock,
- The pastors agenda
- Sometimes the pastor is looking out for himself
- The process of choosing a pastor
- The standards for decision making
- The lack of trust in the new pastor
- The deacons used to protect the church
II. The role and responsibility of the Pastor
- in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers,
- The pastor has a responsibility to give an account
- The pastors role is to equip the Saints
- Pastors cannot do everything or micromanage everything and equip at the same time.
- For the work of the ministry.
- The pastor’s role is not just to minister to but equip the Saints for the work of the ministry.
- For the maturity of the Saints
- Mature Saints can function without someone over their shoulder
III. The pastors heart
- to care for the church of God
- Some versions read “Care = Feed
- The doctrine of the church must be protected
- As the Barnes commentary reads: It is applicable not only to the act of feeding a flock, but also to that of protecting, guiding, and guarding it. It here denotes not merely the “duty” of instructing the church, but also of “governing” it; of “securing” it from enemies Act_20:29, and of “directing” its affairs so as to promote its edification and peace.
Conclusion: We all need to be ministry partners as the role of the church as a whole is to do ministry not just be minister too.