Summary: Jesus Can Offer Peace The World Cannot Give!
The word “peace” only occurs five times in the Gospel of John. Two times before the resurrection of Jesus and three times after the resurrection of Jesus. I find it incredibly interesting that there are 88 occurrences of this word in the NT. The only NT book that does NOT contain this word is 1John.
Three weeks ago, we looked at John 14.27 the only other verse in John that contains the word “peace” and is theologically significant. Jesus is pouring Himself into the disciples in an incredible way from john 13-16. He is also preparing Himself to be poured out as a drink offering to God.
It is in this context that Jesus gives us these two great peace verses. And the other verses that have “peace” in the Gospel of John? They are all greetings: Peace be unto you.
Thesis: Jesus Can Offer Peace The World Cannot Give!
I. Jesus Can Give You Peace 33a
33a These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.
A. The Peace Of Jesus Christ Is Conditional!
1. Now before you start throwing things at me, let me explain!
2. Jesus Himself confirms this in this verse!
B. These Things I Have Spoken To You, That In Me You May Have Peace.
1. There are some things that Jesus guarantees – peace is not one of them!
2. May I prove this to you?
a. This verse is the last verse in what we know as the “Upper Room Discourse” - John 13-16.
b. Jesus leaves the Upper Room and goes to the Garden of Gethsemane.
i. There He encourages His disciples to pray with Him – they don’t because they are exhausted and they sleep all the way to the arrest of Jesus!
ii. Jesus Himself is anything but peaceful!
iii. He is crying out to God with such force that he breaks the capillaries in His skin and “sweats great drops of blood”!
iv. Does that sound like someone who is peaceful?
C. Let’s Talk About The Apostles.
1. After the arrest of Jesus – they scatter!
2. Judas commits suicide!
3. Peter denies every knowing the Lord much less being one of his Apostles!
4. John alone stands with Jesus throughout the crucifixion.
5. But not one Apostle has peace until:
a. They have their little fishing trip and come face to face with Jesus.
b. Jesus cooks them breakfast and reinstates Peter
c. Finally, they have peace!
D. What Took Them So Long?
His disciples did not understand these things at first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written about Him and that they had done these things to Him.
1. They heard what Jesus said without hearing what Jesus said.
2. Every one of us has been in that position.
3. The only way to have true peace is to be obedient to the word and work of Jesus Christ!
E. Application To The Church
TS Having addressed peace, let us now look at tribulation – notice the stark contrast: in me you may have peace, in the world you WILL have tribulation!
II. Jesus Can Give You Peace In Tribulation 33b
33b In the world you will have tribulation
A. Tribulation Can Be A Blessings In Disguise
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory
B. Believers Do Not Faint Under Tribulations
Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we do not lose heart.
C. Saints Drink Of Cup Of Suffering
You have fed them with the bread of tears, and given them tears to drink in great measure
D. The Refining Influence Of Tribulation
Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you
E. Chastisement Is A Mark Of The Father’s Love
For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.
F. Tribulation Is A Part Of Earthly Experience
“strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.
G. All Tribulation Will Culminate In The Great Tribulation!
1. You may have peace in Jesus (conditional on your obedience to Him)
2. You will have tribulation in the world, but you may have peace in Jesus (conditional on your obedience to Him)
3. But when the Great Tribulation comes, peace will evaporate like steam!
4. Let us pray that we pre-tribbers are correct and the church doesn’t have to go through the Great Tribulation!