Summary: Intro to the first chapter of the Book of Revelation
"THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST"
By: Dr. Dennis Deese
Our purpose: To become fully acquainted with the resurrected, glorified Savior, Jesus Christ, the King.
The Division of the book is as follows:
Chapter 1 the initial revelation and the revelation of the glorified Lord Jesus
Chapters 2-3 the church age,
Chapters 4-18 the great tribulation,
Chapter 19 the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus,
Chapter 20 the millennial reign of Christ,
Chapters 21-22 the eternal state is revealed.
The natural divisions are found in chapter 1:19
I. THE PURPOSE THE BOOK 1:1
A. To Enlighten His servants To what?
Revelation is the Greek word "apocalupsis" from which we derive our English word "apocalypse". The word means: unveiling, uncovering, presentation, appearing. The same as the master painter who removes the veil from his painting.
1. The Person of Jesus Christ (1:1a) - in His resurrected, glorified, majestic state. (For us to become fully acquainted with the Lord Jesus Christ)
2. To the present and future (1:1b) see 1:19
B. To Edify His servants - to increase our faith.
1. By revealing our intimacy with the Lord (Jn. 15:15)
2. By revealing the worthiness of the Lord
C. To Encourage His servants
1. By revealing God
II. THE PENMAN OF THE BOOK 1;1, 4, 9; 22:8
Domition, Emperor of Rome, demanded everybody to worship him as God. John refused and was exiled to the Island of Patmos (1:9), a barren island in the Aegean Sea (about 50 miles from Ephesus). Written around 95 A.D.
III. THE PROMISE OF THE BOOK 1:3
Blessed: (3107) ma-kar-ee-os: supremely blest, fortunate, well off. Indwelt by God therefore, fully satisfied not because of circumstances but because God indwells the believer through Christ.
7 beatitudes in Revelation: (1:3, 14:13, 16:15, 19:9, 20:6, 22:7, 22:14)
A. The basis for the promise
1. Read it - truths come into your head
2. Hear it - truths come into your heart
3. Keep (observe) it - truths come into your life
B. The Benefit of the promise
1. The relevance of the prophecy