Summary: The Revival Psalm
Psalm 85:1-13 The Revival Psalm
Revival suggests the idea of living; of lasting; and of lifting.
A Heartbroken Jacob Gen 45:27 "when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived.”
A Helpless Samson - Judges 15:19 “God clave an hollow place that was in the jaw, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived.”
A Hapless son 1 Kings 17:22 “the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.”
A Hopeless soldier 2 Kings 13:21 as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.
I. The Season Of Revival
1 LORD, thou hast been favourable unto thy land:
(a) When the Lord Favours
(b) When the Lord Forgives - 2 Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people, thou hast covered all their sin. Selah.
1. The Covering 2. The Consideration - “selah” - pause for effect.
(c) When the Lord Forgets - 3 Thou hast taken away all thy wrath: thou hast turned thyself from the fierceness of thine anger. God, you have turned; now turn us - 4 Turn us, O God of our salvation, and cause thine anger toward us to cease
II. The Source Of Revival
6 Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?
The request, “Wilt Thou not revive us again.”
The relationship, “that thy people.”
The rejoicing, “may rejoice in thee.”
(a) Revival Comes From The God Who Remembers Us
(b) Revival Comes From The God Who Recovers Us
(c) Revival Comes From The God Who Responds To Us
1. God Responds To Humility With A Spirit Of Revival
Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
2. God Responds To Hardship With A Spirit Of Revival -
Psalms 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.
III. The Substance Of Revival (7-13)
(a) Revival Involves Hearing
8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: 1. The Lord Has A Word Of Favour For His People
8 for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints:
2. The Lord Has A Word Of Freedom For His People - 9 Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land.
(b) Revival Involves Heeding
11 And righteousness shall look down from heaven
Shall descend from heaven; or shall come from above-as the rain.
1. God Wants To See That Which Is Reconciled - 10 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
2. God Wants To See That Which Is Real - 11 Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
C. Revival Involves Helping
1. The Lord Will Give Good - 12 Yea, the LORD shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase.
2. The Lord Will Guide The Godly - 13 Righteousness shall go before him; and shall set us in the way of his steps.