Summary: When Peter took a risk and trusted God, he was able to see God do a miracle.
Intro. Backdrop of story, text. Genessaret, sea of Galilee - Called this because of a fertile plain along the coast - John 1:39 "He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour. 40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. 41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ". (Salvation is readily available to any who find the Messiah) But in our text, it is not salvation, but the challenge of surrender.
So many are flippant about church and their walk with Christ, or lack of. Many never know what it means to obey the Lord. Is your walk with God REAL?
The Christian life is full of different joys and challenges. We enjoy the benefits: Grace, Peace, Assurance, Security. But do we really believe? Are we willing to sell out totally to Christ by faith? What about the Risks?
I. The Pressing of the People - vs. 1 Oh that people would want what we have!
vs. 1 - Jesus was doing what He was accustom to doing - Preaching and Teaching.
If God is going to move among us, we must have preaching. 1Co 1:18 "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God." The people pressed to hear more preaching!
A. Caused by the Presence of God - they wanted to be with Jesus.
- They Pressed upon Him - This means they GOT AS CLOSE AS THEY COULD!
Ps 73:28 "But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,"
Ps 145:18 "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth."
B. Caused by the Precepts of God - TELL US MORE - they wanted His Word.
Oh that we would have that attitude - Jesus tell us more and we will obey.
II. The Permission that was Sought - vs. 2-3
A. The Opportunity - Two boats, Jesus climbed into Peter’s boat!
- Jesus did not force Peter to Obey.
- Jesus is giving all of us, many opportunities!
B. The Inconvenience
- his day was done, he was cleaning the nets and going home.
- Peter was not even in his boat, it was tied up and ready for the night.
III. The Presence that was Welcomed - vs. 3b
A. The Settling - Jesus was in the Midst of what Peter Had - He sat down.
B. The Surrendering
1. Peter surrendered His Boat to be a Pulpit.
2. Peter surrendered some Convenience
- Peter was already finished fishing. He was packing up to go home.
- He was already washing the nets.
- He was already weary in body (he had toiled all night) - Exhausted.
But he let Jesus use His boat - We will not be used of God by our terms!
C. The Schooling - The greatest of all teachers began to expound the Word!
Imagine as Jesus expounded on the Word. We are not told what He taught, but all of His Word is just what we need.
IV. The Proposal that was Given - vs. 4-5 Up to this point, Peter had been obedient, but only in what was easy! That is how most of us want obedience. Then comes the command - Do more than you understand!
A. It was a Risk of Comfort - this was not in his thinking, not logical! We have fished all night, and you want me to go out again?
1. He would have to do all of his work AGAIN.
2. He would have to do something that was not in his plans.
3. He would have to do something not in his schedule.
B. It was a Risk of Confidence
1. He would have to do something that would take resources - Nets
2. He would have to do something AGAIN in which he had failed.
3. He would have to do something while others were WATCHING!
C. It was a Risk of Total Commitment - Put your boat out into the deep, and throw all of your resources down if you want a “draught” - merely a catch.
1. Peter had to reveal his own Deficiency - He was not good enough.
- Master, we have already tried that ALL NIGHT! When we reject our flesh, then God will move