Summary: What we need to do if we want to see our church grow
Today we are going to continue by talking about the roles of the Church (That Family)
• More specifically how we are to promote growth
• And why it’s important to promote growth
• Just like anything Growth needs a foundation
• And I feel that these are 2 that we need to start with
The first part of the foundation comes in the form of a Commandment
Mat 22:37 Jesus answered, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
Mat 22:38 This is the greatest and the most important commandment.
Mat 22:39 The second most important commandment is like it: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.'
Mat 22:40 The whole Law of Moses and the teachings of the prophets depend on these two commandments."
And The second part of the foundation comes in the form of a Commission- an instruction, command, or duty given to a person or group of people.
Mat 28:19 Go, then, to all peoples everywhere and make them my disciples: baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20 and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And I will be with you always, to the end of the age."
Now that we have set the foundation let’s look at the 5 purposes of the church
#1 Love The Lord With All Your Heart
• The word that describes this is worship.
• The church exists to worship God.
• How do we love God? We love Him By worshipping Him.
• It doesn’t matter if we are by ourselves, with a small group, or with 100,000 people.
• When we express our love to God, we’re worshiping.
Mt 4:10b. “For the Scriptures say, ‘You must worship the Lord your God;
serve only him.’
I want to make it clear that worship comes before Service.
• Worshiping God is the church’s number 1 priority.
• Sometimes we get so busy, working for God,
• That we don’t have time to express our love For Him thru worship.
Scripture tells us that we’re commanded to celebrate God’s presence
• And we do it by magnifying the Lord and exalting His name.
Ps 34:3 Come, let us tell of the LORD’s greatness; let us exalt his name together.
• We shouldn’t worship because we feel we have to
• We should worship because we want to.
#2 Love Your Neighbor as Yourself (1Love Him With All Your Heart)
• And the word that describes this best is ministry.
• The church exists to minister to people.
• Ministry is showing God’s love to others
• By meeting their needs and healing their hurts
• All in the name of Jesus.
Every time we reach out to others we are ministering to them.
• As a church it’s our responsibility to fill all kinds of needs,
• Spiritual needs , emotional needs, relational needs , and physical needs
• Jesus said that even a cup of cold water given in His name was considered as ministry and it would not go unrewarded.
#3 Go And Make Disciples
• This is called Evangelism.