Summary: Spirit of God dwells in us
Intro: over the years I have heard people make a distinction between the Spirit of God that rested on Jesus, and the Spirit of God that rests on our lives. As if we have a weakened or watered down version of the original. But scripture never indicates we will be given anything less than God the Holy Spirit working in our lives. Jesus said, greater works shall ye do because I go to the Father—John 14:12
A key statement in the Word is same or selfsame Spirit. Romans 8:11—if the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwell in you, He shall quicken your mortal bodies. I Corinthians 12:11-the selfsame Spirit.
The Same Spirit
1. Genesis 1:2—the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters. This is an amazing thought, the Spirit of Creation, that moved on the face of the waters, is the same Spirit that dwells in the life of the believer. There is no other power than that which is given.
· We need the Spirit of God working in our lives to have full revelation from the Word of God.
· If the Spirit of God can inspire the entire Word of God, surely that same Spirit can give revelation into our lives, move upon us in the same way He did on the writers of scripture.
3. I Corinthians 4-5, I Corinthians 12:7-11—the demonstrations and manifestations of the Spirit that rested on Paul, Peter, Phillip and John, didn’t end with the Bible’s last verse. Acts 29 is to be written by the modern day church, and we are to demonstrate the power of God, not just give excellent speeches.
4. I Samuel 16:13---when David was anointed King of Israel, the Holy Spirit rested on his life. The Spirit of God was the seal of his authority as King. We are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise—Ephesians 1:13. We have no authority without God’s seal of the Spirit working in our lives. Paul said in Galatians 1—I certify you brethren the gospel I preach was not after man, but by Revelation of Jesus Christ. Your authority doesn’t hang on a wall, it is a seal of the Spirit.
5. Isaiah 59:19—we must realize the protective nature of the Holy Spirit in our lives against demonic forces that would kill, steal and destroy.
It is the anointing that destroys the yoke---Isaiah 10:27
Not breaks the yoke, but destroys the yoke. When someone is released from any oppression or possession, they are totally set free.
6. Romans 8:11-resurrection power—the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwells in us. If this isn’t exciting, we have the power that is greater than the power of death within us, even though the outward man is perishing, the inward man is being renewed day by day.
7. Acts 15:28—it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us. The early church was so sensitive to the Holy Spirit, that the Spirit of God directed them in every decision. The Holy Spirit has been given into our lives to lead us, guides us—Romans 8:14—as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.